DNA and Sjogren's

Posted , 10 users are following.

Please write with your blood type and family history of Sjogren's. Let's share and solve the mystery of this sydrome. My family is O pos and father and mother have Sjogren's as well. 

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Jordan,

An interesting attempt. However, I agree with Barbara's point that the preponderance of blood group O is pretty meaningless as it's by far the most common blood type all over the world. It is interesting though - as you have already noted - that group B is turning up at least as often, as this is much less common.

I'm also wondering about the significance of reporting our ancestry, outside of certain distinct racial groups. As this is an English-language board, I suspect this makes us a bit of a self-selecting group, though not all of us will be native English. And there's another problem: just what is "native English"? We're a bit of a mongrel race! Also, most of us won't know much about our distant ancestry. My own knowledge only goes back as far as my great-grandparents, probably born around 1870.

But it's still worth trying to pull the different strands together. I might be muddying the waters here cheesygrin but a question that often arises in my own mind when reading through Sjogren's boards is: how many of us are on the autistic spectrum? I'm not being rude about fellow posters here, it's a genuine question. I was diagnosed as being on the spectrum when I was in my mid-40s (when it was far too late to do anything about it) and I sometimes spot elements in other posts that ring a bell with me.

• Posted

Oh dear, the auto-moderator on this site seems to have developed an auto-immune condition just lately - over-reacting and attacking everything in sight!rolleyes I think I may have upset it with some unusual combination of punctuation in my second post, which has been held back. It could obviously do with some cyber-probiotics! I think our friendly human moderator will reinstate the post once he's had a chance to read it.
    • Posted

Hi Aitarg,

No, I'm sure not everyone is. But I think it's a question worth asking, especially as there could be a candida link. And I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's untimely death due to medical malpractice.

• Posted

I too just got moderated on a long reply. It should show up soon, must've had some extra periods in there without space before the next word.
    • Posted

You could be onto something there with the autistic spectrum idea. However there are two things I can think of which would make any research into a link very difficult to do. First, I suspect there are many people over the age of 30 who were 'missed' being diagnosed - I've only really heard of it in the last 10 years. Secondly, having recently looked into aspergers I've come to the conclusion that most of the population has one or more of the traits and what leads to a diagnosis is merely the number and degree of these traits a person has. So where would one draw the line?
    • Posted

I agree, you couldn't start researching the autistic spectrum theory properly in the current climate. Almost no one at the higher-performing end of the spectrum got diagnosed before 1990, and many still don't now. Until at least the mid-70s the standard model for autism was the child who couldn't communicate and didn't recognise his own mother.

I think the cut-off point would be less of a problem. There have already been attempts to establish just how many autistic traits are necessary to make a diagnosis, though I understand there is as yet no agreement on that.

• Posted

Aitarg, I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard. My mother also passed from a medical mistake and neglect at the age of 41. Lily, yes, candida has been implicated for many years. The question is how to correct the imbalance. Which probiotics is the question. Thanks.
    • Posted

If blastocystis hominis is to blame, try probiotic saccharonyces boulardii.
    • Posted

That's interesting, Barbara. In my neck of the woods this probiotic is often the first remedy suggested if anyone goes to a pharmacy complaining of diarrhoea, regardless of the causes. Most pharmacists will go straight to Enterol (the local brand name) before even considering immodium. I took it myself when I had bad diarrhoea after a two-week spell on high-dose antibiotics. I hadn't realised blastocystis hominis might be a major player, and will look into this further.
  • Posted

Hello Everyone.

Sometimes I think I am on the spectrum, because I teach children who are, I certainly understand the "gut" link. 

In regard to blood type O, my point is not so much about O as I am trying to understand what type, like B, shows up the most in the posts. If B is common in Sjogrens then it could be that the A antigen (ss in sheeps clothing) is the enemy because B won't accept A and perhaps Bs have an AB parent. I am O but understanding the origins of SS will not be as easy as isolating one blood type. Perhaps even Os do not accept A antigens as easily as once thought.

• Posted

Hello. 

In response to the "leaky gut" post. My father and aunt have always eating just about anything they want and some infrequent alcohol or cigs. Both never really ever drank or smoke at all. 

Their onset has been in their 80s, which absolutely leads me to believe it is genet at all? There is something in the genes all along but of course triggered at a later age. It is more about WHAT IS THERE TO BEGIN WITH, and not WHEN. 

Big type is just to highlight.

• Posted

My father and aunt have always eaten whatever they wanted. Their diets have not been perfect. I have learned a lot about "leaky gut" and flora and it makes sense. Darwin alway prescribed the monkey diet. Veggies, fruit, water, a little protein, and nuts. That is exactly what I eat--I eat like a monkey. It makes total sense. I also take just about anything safe to reduce inflammation--tart cherry juice diluted, tumeric, Omega 3, etc. I don't touch any sugar, unless just a little tiny bit of sweet ginger or syrup. I currently take one baby asprin each day as a current experiment to relieve whatever discomfort.
  • Posted

I hope that everyone will keep sending there blood types and heritage. There is a very obvious genetic link. I really want to know the link. Thank you everyone for your help. 
  • Posted

I have B+ blood type and I am Croatian. I have RA as well as Sjorgen's and my mother had RA as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.