DNA Sequencing?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Curious if anyone has had DNA Sequencing done to determine what bacteria was causing their prostatitis. I think that may be my next option.

For the past five months I've had the constant urge to urinate. That's been my only symptom besides the first day when I initially thought I was sick from being hungover.

That lead me to believe I had acute prostatitis. Since I was between jobs when it first started I took amoxicillin (bought in Mexico) for ten days. Symptoms went away only to return after 4 days. Then was prescribed Bactrim for 30 days and thought that cleared it up but it returned. Took Bactrim for another 30 days with limited results.

Went to a urologist and had a prostate exam, bladder ultrasound, urine strip test and had my urine cultured. Everything was negative and the doctor prescribed me Cipro for 30 days and the symptoms come and go.

I've taken supplements and tried essential oils with limited results.

Hoping someone has some advice.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I sent in sperm sample. A few different bacteria's were listed by percentages (high to low). My Dr.  prescribed recommended antibiotic. I have not sent in another sample. Symptoms seem better.

I would think twice about the Cipro. It will cause damage to tendons and ligaments.  Some are permanent, 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Carlos75314. I think that is going to be my next step. If I do I'll make sure I post in here again so if others are looking for help.

• Posted

Hi wombat,

Are you in the UK by any chance? I would be interested in doing this also. I have been suffering for 2 and a half years. I know you can't mention companies on here due to advertising? But is there any chance you could pm me where you are thinking of going to do this and how much it costs?

If you are anywhere other than the UK I doubt I will be able to use them due to time to send samples back etc

Thanks in advance

• Posted

I'm in the United States. I've contacted the company here that I know does it so they could give me a list of Urologists who use their services in the state I live in. I'll be calling around Monday to see which Urologist I should go to. 

I'm new to these forums but if there is a where to shoot each other private messages I can give you the company's name and see if they work with places in the UK.

• Posted

That would be great Wombat, cheers.

I have emailed a couple of universities here that offer dna sequencing. Hopefully as they are students there and I am poor they will help a guy out and offer me a cheap price:D

I will send you a pm in a sec. If you just click on reply and ping me back that would be great.

Thanks

• Posted

Good luck with all this, it sounds a good idea.

Wombat, heed the advice from Carlos about Cipro.  It sounds like you took it for 30 days but it didn't really do anything, is that right?

It did do something - it started to mess about with your cells although it looks like you didn't notice.  People often don't notice then they get given a second (or third course) and then it hits them.  Or, you may find you have strange aches and pains over the next few months; nothing in particular and you may think you've pulled a muscle but don't remember when.  This will be the Cipro.  Or you may even feel slightly panicky or depressed for no reason, or tired but can't sleep?

The bottom line is please don't accept another prescription for Cipro, or Ofloxacin or any other Fluoroquinolone (this is their 'class' or 'family'wink.  For more information, please go to the fluoroquinolone antibiotic discussions on this site.

Have you tried exercise and relaxation techniques?  You can look these up under pelvic pain exercises.  In young men especially the pain is more often caused by stress than bacteria.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.