Do all alopecia types start with round bald patches ?

Posted , 6 users are following.

If you're going to answer, please give me details as to why you answered what you said. Does alopecia universalis, alopecia totalis and alopecia areata all start with round bald patches? I understand with universalis body hair is lost as well and with totalis, it's complete baldness on the scalp and areata isn't. So I need to know. I'm not including androgenetic alopecia. Just the 3 types I've mentioned unless aga also starts with round patches but from what I read, it doesn't. I'm 19 and currently having massives amount of hairloss with crazy thinning. I'm suspecting it's telogen effluvium but not sure. I don't have bald patches but this is really making me cry thinking I'm going to go bald. I have a derm appt on the 21st but that's too far. I'm trying to rule out alopecia. Please help 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I have alopecia areata and mine started with a bald patch and it was very obvious with my long hair and it was at the crown of my head. And every time my alopecia acts up I get bald patches every time.
  • Posted

Yes, these all kind of alopecia are known as round bald patches which is commonly known to be alopecia universalis.
    • Posted

That's not correct. When you have hair loss in patches it's known as alopecia areata. If you have total hair loss on your head then that's alopecia totalitarian, and if you lose the hair all over your body and your head then that's called alopecia Universalist.

• Posted

The correct terms are alopecia totalis, and alopecia universalis. 

Chantal, there are many reasons that you could be having hair loss besides alopecia areata. Could be hypothyroidism, low iron, etc. Try not to stress about it. The derm will be able to determine what is going on. If nothing is found, have your ferritin levels checked to see if your iron stores are where they should be. Optimal levels are around 100 for women.

Typically alopecia areata does start in round patches but there are exceptions to the rule. It doesn't sound like this is what you have though.

• Posted

suzanne54870 Alopecia Areata does start with patches, not necessarily round but bald spots for sure. That is the classic symptom of this autoimmune disease. It does not fall out all over you head as in thinning hair. But the patches can overlap.
    • Posted

I’ve had some form of alopecia my entire 52 years. And the hair loss can happen in different ways.  I’ve had patchy loss, all over thinning, and total loss. All alopecia areata/totalis/universalis. 

Was a support group leader for many years, volunteer at the annual conference, and then did hair replacement for women. 

If you are going to give advice, make sure you know what you are talking about. 

• Posted

everything I've ever read out this disease has stated that it falls out in patches and frankly that's exactly how mine did. I lost most my hair but it started as patches. So next time don't be so rude. I am entitled to express my knowledge on this site.

• Posted

Didn’t mean to be rude, sorry. It just worries me when someone doesn’t know the proper terminology.

So alopecia areata usually falls out in patches, that is true, but I know women who have woken up and found all their hair on the pillow.  So it can definitely manifest in different ways. 

Having a bad day, so I shouldn’t even be responding today. 

• Posted

Im also loosing really short hairs and they come out with the root. They haven't even grown out long but are falling out with the root? 

• Posted

Having all of your hair fall out at once is not the same thing as thinning. It's just a total loss of hair. And the purpose of this site is for people to give suggestions (and I'm not using the word advice on purpose) based on their personal experience and knowledge. So no one on this site should expect to get the advice from a doctor or someone in the medical field. So I am quite qualified to be a person with experience in alopecia areata. Therefore I don't feel that I acted recklessly. And I can understand that you had a bad day and your words may have come out a little strong. I appreciate your apology. I hope you have a very good day.

• Posted

Chantal, with alopecia your hair will look broken off, it wouldn’t have the roots attached. Hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.