Do all beta blockers help with anxiety, social interactions etc.?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im probably getting some beta blockers for hypertension im 17 yrs old and doctors gotta do some researches before giving me the treatment- doc mentioned beta blockers would be the best. i also have social anxiety and do get the sweaty hands and blushes when talking to people ( in 60%) . i am wondering if i get prescribed whatever beta blockers if they will help or does only propranolol(inderal) work??? thanks in advance.

or

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I took metoprolol succinate. I know it didn't help me with my anxiety. I had to take an additional anxiety medicine on top of that. But everyone's body is different, reacts differently. Hopefully whatever they prescribe you helps you out, best of luck.

• Posted

Have you ever thought about taking something natural for your hypertension? Beta blockers aren't always good for you i, the long run. I heard ginger tea is really good for high blood pressure.

• Posted

do you think that i could ask my doctor when hes going to prescribe me beta blockers if he can prescribe me propranolol? i hear that its the best for social anxiety ... and it would also help me

with hypertension ..

• Posted

I don't thinkso. Very possibly its rather your anxiety that's causing the hypertension.

I would hesitate a long time before tackling social anxiety with drugs as you can come to depend on them indefinitely and the effects you mention are not uncommon at your age.. Try looking at Google under social anxiety alternative treatment, and some way down the page there are several very useful ways you might like to try first.

Calming exercise routines such as yoga or tai chi are very good at helping you to discover where your tensions are and helping you to let go of them and this benefits your health in all sorts of ways without medical intervention. You will find that if you can find areas of physical tension (shoulders, stomach, arms, wrists etc) and learn to truly relax (not easy but well worth it) it will help your mental stte too. learn slow deep breathing too, breathing to expand the diaphragm downwards rather thn the chest outwards.  All this takes longer than taking a pill but it is infinitely better in the long run - just needs dedication and motivation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.