Do allergy medicines make your ears worse?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been taking Claritin for allergies and since I've started it, my ears have been ringing and my left ear has felt stuffy and I've just felt off.

I noticed last time when I took it (a few months back) that it did the same and I actually had vertigo attacks. I thought maybe it was just coincidence until now.

Does anyone else experience this? What the heck?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Considering that I'm taking 16 mg of Betahistine (which is actually a histamine) per day to help control my vertigo symptoms, I would assume that an antihistamine such as Claritin would not help with your symptoms any. The Betahistine is designed to increase blood flow around your ears to decrease the fluid build up. I can only assume that Claritin does the opposite.

• Posted

That really makes sense actually! I take it because my allergies get bad but after a few days my ears start acting up. And I quit taking it about 2 days ago but it's already too late as I woke up this morning dizzy & off.

It could very well be coincidence but doesn't seem like it anymore.

Thank u!

• Posted

Hi,

That's so strange! Aren't antihistamines (like cinnarizine, Dramamine, etc..)  typically prescribed for nausea and dizziness with MD?  Could it be the decongestant component?  That's a puzzle.  I was going to suggest trying a different brand, but if something gave me vertigo, I'd probably stay away from it for a while. Sigh.  I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling so lousy.

J-

• Posted

I agree My doctor out me on robinul and intjinknit made me dizzy not help it. It dries you up and I think the key is flow when my nose is runny I definstely feel better than if stuffed up. I'm not a doctor just know how I feel

• Posted

Aw thank you.

Yeah I'm not sure what it could be. It doesn't seem like it is the medicine itself that makes me dizzy because I don't start to feel off until I take it for a few days. That's when the ringing starts and etc..

It really did help clear my sinuses but I'll just have to avoid it and keep using only my nasal spray.

• Posted

Can't live without my New-Synephtine Mild!!  ;-).  

• Posted

It is possible that the medication caused the secretions in your sinuses to thicken and increased pressure on your ear. Maybe taking it with guiafenisen which thins secretions you would be able to take it. It is an over the counter medication.
    • Posted

I'm not sure. My doc prescribed it to me because I have pretty crummy allergies and my ears seem to always be irritated or have fluid. But every time I try to take this darn medicine for a long period of time, it starts to mess with me.

I've never heard of guiafenisen, I'll have to look into it.

Thank you!

• Posted

I have allergies too. I can't take most of the allergy pills because of that same issue and my nose starts bleeding (go figure). I use Guiafenisen and a decongestant instead, but you may be able to use the allergy pills paired with it.

• Posted

No in fact my ENT Doctor said to change from Claritin to Zyrtec every other month. You probably are having other things triggering your attack but are thinking maybe it's the allergy med. Are you on a low salt diet? Are you on a diuretic?

• Posted

Sudafed only reaches outside the ear and if you have allergies you need more antihistamines. That's Claritin, Zyrtec, Benedryl. They help they inner ear. But if it's all inflamed and perhaps feeling full then you might be getting an improvement with the allergy medicine but it might be moving the little crystals around in your ear that makes you have vertigo attacks.

• Posted

Over time it should help but you hopefully are on low salt, low alchol, low caffeine diet along with a diuretic. It has really helped me but it's taken some time.

• Posted

I quit drinking caffeine years ago and I haven't drank alcohol for over a year now.

I'm not on a diuretic because the only one available is a sulfa and I'm allergic to sulfa.

I don't watch my salt as much as I should but I don't think I eat it excessively. I don't add it to anything and never really have. And if I use canned vegetables or a soup, I wash them off first and don't use the broth.

I felt fine until I started taking the allergy medicine. This happened to me months ago as well when I took it. It's possible it is just a coincidence but I'm not sure.

I go back to my neurotologist in February so I'm going to ask him about it. I'm as lost as you all are lol it really is a weird occurrence.

• Posted

Oh my I am allergic to Sulfa too. Lol we have a lot in common. I started on a natural diuretic called horsetail. You can buy it at any WhOle foods or vitamin store. It has done wonders for me. I had just a few episodes over the last couple years and then 7 months ago they came on strong. The low soduim and horsetail have really helped. I also take the allergy medicine. I wish you the best. It's so complicated. Good luck.

• Posted

It does a little more than that. It tends to have a systemic effect. Anyway, decreasing the swelling and congestion in the sinuses will change the way the blood flows in the whole area. I find the decreased pressure in the sinuses will help alleviate the pressure in the ears also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.