Do allergy medicines make your ears worse?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been taking Claritin for allergies and since I've started it, my ears have been ringing and my left ear has felt stuffy and I've just felt off.

I noticed last time when I took it (a few months back) that it did the same and I actually had vertigo attacks. I thought maybe it was just coincidence until now.

Does anyone else experience this? What the heck?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I see someone has already suggested Zirtec which I have been taking for many years without any associated problems. It is a very good non sedative antihistamine and has no impact on my Meniere's.

• Posted

I've been taking Singulair for the last week and a half and since starting it, my ears have non stopped continuously high pitched ring.

I find it very odd, once again, that my ears have started ringing since taking another known type of allergy medication.

Just thought I'd update this incase anyone else out there runs into this problem.

• Posted

I think you should report your ear problem to your doctor asap. Presume you are taking singulair for allergic asthma - there are sure to be other options.
  • Posted

Took Claritin almost every day for about 7 or 8 years. Yes ringing in the ears sometimes and makes depression worse. Have started taking Allegra now. Been great. Although tonight I took a 2nd one as my allergies have been kicking my butt. About an hour later my left ear started quivering and some ringing for a few minutes. Went away though.
  • Posted

Yes I have experienced the same,  I am looking for people that have found how to handle allergies and menieres.  The vertigo is very debilitating.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.