Do ankle bones heal itself?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does every stable fracture of the foot and ankle bone heal with a cast and nwb???  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

No!!! I broke my fibula Nondisplaced fracture was treated with a six-week cast nonweightbearing physical therapy and it turned out that it never healed and it was a non-union and I had to have surgery in May. Hope your situation turns out differently of course 😉

• Posted

Mine is! I broke my tibula weeks ago, no surgery and NWB.  Followed up today in fracture clinic and bone is almost healed.

I’ve been given green light today for physio 

• Posted

Yes it depends on the situation of the bone of course. I broke my talus non displaced and I did X ray and CT and went to many doctors so they say no need surgery. I should wear a cast and nwb for 10-12 weeks so I am on 8th week now. No pain no discomfort but sweeling when I put my leg down and its getting purple. I hope its healing. What do you think about this.
  • Posted

WhizJoe,

Unfortunately, fractures that won't heal (non-unions) do happen, due to reasons too many to list here.

There are some modalities like PEMF that can make a difference in getting non-unions to heal. Please investigate further.

• Posted

I recently saw the articles about an Austrian skiing champion, Maier, with injuries fixed in almost-unbelievably short time by the controversial Padimi PEMF.  Lots of studies in the Greek site.  But lookup all the studies, since the treatment points on the body could require accupunture-like precision; treatment times in minutes knowledge, and many other factors.  The treatment protocol is very scarce on the 'net.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.