Do antibiotics affect LS?

Posted , 6 users are following.

i was diagnosed with LS about 2-3 years ago, it took over 2years  to get the correct diagnosis! Thought all was going we'll until check up last year.  LS trying to closer over  'wee' bit (sorry can,t spell proper name). Have had a really stressful 2014 - and am now on 2nd course of antibiotics for infection after having a tooth extraction.  Had a 'look' after my shower this morning, lots of white skin has appeared some on the inside of vagina. Have been use Dermovate and bathing in Bicarbonate of Soda baths before applying the Dermivate for at least the last town eek sis but it is getting worse.  I wonder if the antibiotics could have made te LS flair up so badly? Needless to say I am pretty scared ................. again, by this horrible illness. 

3 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Things to consider are that the anti-biotics may have caused a case of thrush.  Swab test will confirm this or not and a good thing to do. Thrush and Dermovate are well known not to work well together. One of the biggest symptoms of having LS, is blaming it for everything that happens.  This may not be the case.  Early treatment of any kind of skin fusion over the urethra is worthwhile.  if you are not followed regularly by a consultant, ask to be referred back for further treatment for the fusing, GPs, sadly will not have much to offer to help with this.  Bicarbonate of Soda is a household chemical, it is possible it could wear down the protective layer of the skin and cause infection.  Plenty of articles on the internet about this. These are just ideas for you to think about, hope they are helpful. Forums need to support people like you who are frightened and point them in the direction of good help.  You could spend months taking advice on treatments from us, only to find that early medical help could have saved you suffering. Sincere and well meant good wishes for your wellbeing. Wrapping you in a warm blanket of love.  LS can be lived with and you can have a good life.
  • Posted

Suzanne, I am one of those  that believe antibiotics are bad for people with auto immune disorders, and so I think your more than likely correct that taking  antibiotics has made things worst.  That said, sometimes you have to take them, for after dental treatment etc, although I would have to be on my death bed before I personally would take antibiotics again!   

Like yourself I had the whiteness inside my vagina ( labia minora) and I treated it with the Clob cream, morning and night for just a week.   I used half a pearl size of cream for in the morning and the same for in the evening. This cleared it up for me and I have never had to put cream there again, and I wouldn't really want to bearing in mind its such a delicate area. Any areas that are white outside of the vagina I would use a full pearl sized amount of cream for that. I don't think you need to panic, it should clear up pretty quickly and I think you should continue doing what your doing with the bic soda..I would buy a good probotic (I hope you took one when you were taking your antibiotics) if you Google probotic you should get lots of info.. 

• Posted

Antibiotics affect the gut which is where your food gets absorbed. From comments on this forum, it's becoming pretty clear that healthy food and good digestion are a big factor in preventing flare-ups for most of us. So my guess is that the answer your question - 'I wonder if the antibiotics could have made te LS flair up so badly?' - is yes!
    • Posted

Antibiotics clear out the flora in the gut, both the good and the bad. The way to put the good flora back is to take plenty of lactobacillus/acidophilus (up to 50 billion cells once a day). It's available in capsule form in fridges in health food stores. That way, digestion starts to work properly again.

Good luck with your issues!!

• Posted

My personnel experience with anti biotics is that it stopped LS in its tracks.  But it was only temperary.  Other people have experienced the entire opposite.  It caused their LS to act up.  

We simply don't have an answer that will cure all.  What works well for one may not work at all for another person.  Overal, many seem to find comfort with baking soda and warm water rinsing and coconut oil application after bathroom visits. (Next to the globetasol or dermovate)  Often it takes a longer period than expected to conquer the LS flare ups.  

Avoiding foods like sugar and alcohol has been beneficial, so is avoiding unnecessary stress.  Gluten free, dairy free diets are supportive over a long period of time.  

I have overcome, but it took close to a year, from the confusing time when I was first diagnosed till today.  It was no easy ride.   

• Posted

Antibiotics can cause thrush, I have always eaten live yoghurt when taking them. Urine tract infections should be treated with antibiotics in case your infection reaches the kidneys...mine did last year and the pyelonephritis was not much fun. Ask your GP to refer you to a consultant asap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.