Do Antivirals Work??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have had this for two years but it had not become full blown until about a month ago.  Now my stomach, back and neck is covered in this awful rash. It is undoubtably PR.  I have the classic herald patch and Christmas tree pattern on my back.  I'm going to see a new dermatologist on Monday and would like to know if anyone has tried antivirals and if they have worked or not worked for you.  Help sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dear

Ive had the rashes since december of 2015 and was diagnosed with PR in February 2016 after seeing a dermatologist. He gave me oral steroids and also steroids lotion. I never took the oral steroids because i didnt feel safe taking it however, i used the steroids lotion and it helped alot with the itching! i used the lotion along with cocobutter lotion to moisturize my skin and i would soak myself in oats which helped with the itching too! I tried my best to stay cool and not sweat a lot to irritate my skin. Also tried cutting back on sweets. Theres nothing much u can do but just let the PR take its course but u can so alot to help stop the itching. I still have some white patces of dry skin and they still itch but not as much as they did before. I am currently using black soap with aloe vera and coco butter & shea butter lotion in hopes that the little scares im left back with will eventually go away.

• Posted

Thank you for replying.  I am going to ask for a steroid lotion tomorrow.  Can I ask you why you cut back on sweets? Did your doctor recommend doing this?  
  • Posted

No hun my doctor didnt recommend me to cut back on sweets i took my own initiative and did this. I am a Human and Social biology student and ive learded that Lowering sugar intake can reduce inflimation.

Try your best not to scratch the legions on ur skin. The steroids lotion really

helped the itching to stop! i used 'Betnovate'.

Goodluck! and remember to be patient dont stress. The PR will go away in 

due time. 

• Posted

oh and i forgot to add that the steroids lotion not only helps with the itching but it also helped dry up the rashes. I used it twice (2) a day, in the mornings and at night time after baths. 
  • Posted

Thankyou @karena20670!

• Posted

I had steroids but swear it made it worse in the long run. Started to get better and then when I stopped them. Came back worse. Vitamin c, antihistamine and a spray or cream with 9% Panthenol cleared mine up in two weeks. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.