Do benzos(benzodiazepines) help anyone with vertigo here?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suffer from a rocking  swaying sensation felt in the head which often gets too fierce to handle. I have poor spatial distance judgment and poor depth perception too. I also get daily headaches and severe eye pain. The only thing which helps are benzos. I use clonazepam (0.5-1 mg) to bring the vertigo/dizziness under control. My diagnosis is left peripheral vestibulopathy. Do benzos help anyone else here?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have the exact same symptoms as you, and also take .5 mg of clonazepam. I think the opposite way though, wondering if the klonopin actually adds to my problem. The fact that it helps you does make me wonder if your problem is anxiety driven. Is that why your doctor prescribed klonopin for a problem with balance and dizziness?
    • Posted

I'm pretty sure that this is just more than anxiety. I went to a neurotologist who did a battery of tests including VNG testing and caloric test and found a hypoactive response in the left ear. The neurotologist dxed me with left peripheral vestibulopathy(left peripheral vestibular lesion). She also discovered that I had moderate hearing loss. This cannot be attributed to anxiety.

Not only is clonazepam anti-anxiety it is a vestibular suppressant too.

I dislike having to rely on this medicine but I have to take it otherwise I won't be able to work.

What do you take clonazepam for?

• Posted

Hello I  also take benzos had a period of six months off on Amlodepine but this 

increased dizzy/giddy etc. After talking informally to health professional they told me 50% of elderly admissions are due to too many other prescibed drugs which body does not sope with as well so there is a build up of drug which sends BP down.

I am working on lowering my dosage of ante depressant and so far feeling slightly

clearer in head.

Do not know your age but this is my experience. Best Wishesbiggrin

• Posted

The concern with the benzo is that they tend to delay compensation since it suppresses the vestibular function.  I experienced the same thing in the beginning and took alprazolam (xanax) for the first 6 weeks.  Not sure how long you have been dealing with the condition.  My Neurologist and Neurotologist told me that it would delay compensation so I needed to get off of it for the VRT to work.  I find that the vestibular issue heightens anxiety for me and on occasion I have to take the xanax.  I say if it helps, take it.  This is a terrible condition to try to deal with on a daily basis.  I have the headaches and eye pain as well.  It is the body trying to help compensate for the mixed signals that the brain is dealing with.  
    • Posted

I was either born with this condition or developed this condition as an infant. So it has been over 30 years dealing with this condition. This condition slowly became unbearable. Since it has been over 30 years it is obviously not a matter of vestibular compensation in my case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.