Do BPH's symptoms mimic prostate cancer symptoms?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I asked a similar question previously.

The question is:

Do BPH's symptoms mimic prostate cancer symptoms

or or do prostate cancer symptoms progressively change and worsen during a shorter length of time whereas BPH symptoms can stay relatively the same and not change for a long period of time? Because of the location in the prostate where cancer usually forms creates different symptoms from BPH?

From what I was told by the doctor was that they would notice changes in symptoms much more rapidly if one had prostate cancer and not BPH.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Early stage prostate cancer doesn't have any symptoms - nothing you can feel. If the cancer is not detected and progresses at some point it can be felt with a DRE and eventually the prostate will enlarge. BPH can be really an issue - the prostate enlarges and causes urinary retention and disturbs daily activities and sleep. Normally prostate cancer can be detected early after a rising PSA and biopsy or MRI.

Now here's a big issue: if cancer is found and the prostate is removed (RRP) the prostate is gone and there can't be any future BPH symptoms. However, if the cancer is treated with radiation, the prostate is still in place and now can cause future BPH symptoms. This is what happened to me. I had radiation and my cancer is 100% gone, but I have been having BPH symptoms, had two operations, and am still having problems. If I had to do it all over again I would have had my prostate removed. This might have caused some incontinence but in most cases that issue is eventually resolved.

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Whilst I would agree with you that having the prostate removed prevents any further issues such as BPH I would not agree that 'in most cases' incontinence issues are 'eventually resolved'.

My brother was diagnosed with prostate cancer and went for removal. Whilst he is pleased with the fact that it got rid of his cancer he is not too pleased with the incontinence with which he is left, over two years later.

• Posted

Stephen,

I am not guessing about the stats. I just read the latest statistics about incontinence following RRP and almost all issues are resolved after 12-13 months. Sorry to hear that your brother is still not 100% OK. I made the same decision five years ago for the same reason, but after what I have gone through with my prostate since then I am not sure I did the right thing by having radiation. Since my original diagnosis of prostate cancer I have had a second 12 core biopsy that caused bleeding for several months, two HD Brachytherapy radiation treatments that caused me to have Foley catheters in and out for six weeks after, bladder irritation (radiation cystitis), frequency/urgency/nocturia issues leading to chronic insomnia, loss of sex life, urine retention, a PAE and TURP - basically the prostate enlargement has ruined the quality of my life. My bladder is constantly irritated and I feel like I have to pee all the time, day and night. I am now four months post TURP and doing better, but the past five years have been a terrible struggle. Being on this forum has helped a lot.

RRP outcomes are surgeon dependent and if you can find a great one then the chances of a good outcome are greatly enhanced.

Tom

• Posted

Hi Tom,

Yes, I understand what you are saying and agree with you that you probably would have been better to 'get rid' of the prostate altogether but, as you say, the thought of incontinence swayed your decision. If only we could see into the future a little.

I am truly sorry for all the suffering you have had to endure and I empathise with how you are feeling. Prostate (BPH) symptoms are not to be laughed at that's for sure.

I am currently on the waiting list for the Urolift procedure which I hope will mean I can get off the drugs.

I hope that your condition will continue to improve now that you have had a TURP and that you can forget about prostate issues for a long time to come.

My very best wishes to you.

Take care.

Steve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.