Do Dmard drugs change the way the body reacts to steroids

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello, i have been using sulfasalzine for about 7months first 12 weeks on its own and since then with methotrexate injection ( started on pills made me so sick).  am now at 17.5mg a week took along time to get there as was so sick with the pills. 

i have not had any improvements since being on the meds although last week i had another steroid injection in my knee about the 10th one and it finally made a differance does this mean the other drugs are starting to work and have changed the way my body reacts to the injection because before this time they did nothing i also did a months worth of predisinone which also did nothing for me. 

i have been so pleased this week does this mean things are finally getting better or am i getting ahead of myself. 

thanks for any advice 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Taking some DMARDs at the same time as oral pred may increase the effect you get for the same dose of pred, it is called a steroid-sparing effect. I don't know if it does the same with injections though. 

However - methotrexate sometimes takes up to 6 months to show a effect. Maybe you have finally got the benefit of that.

• Posted

A steroid injection will only make you feel good for so long.If you are still struggling you could your consultant for more help
    • Posted

hello,

thanks for reply, yeah i understand the idea of steroid injections, its just that my body has never responded to one before and i have had about 10.   so was thinking what has changed for it to work this time. 

• Posted

Oh I see.Not sure then unless your other medications have kicked in more.
  • Posted

Hi, I've been on sulfasalazine for years, inflammation CRP started rising so Rheumatologist gave me methotrexate pills 15 mg dose, and after 1 week ended in A and E, bad reaction to methotrexate felt terrible and massive stomach cramps, so no more methotrexate, now being assessed for Biologicals, I did have one of those steroid injections worked OK, that's it with RA it's up and down just when you think you're improving you go back again, sorry to be so pessimistic, good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.