Do DMARDS require taper?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hello,

I'm on some of the other forums, Polymyalgia, osteoporosis,...

My Rheumy put me on both Plaquinel and Sulfasalazine.  I do NOT have RA markers.  She think the DMARDS help one reduce the Prednisone. I do not think it helps. I felt somewhat better for a few months, but I think it's more due to other things, meditation, gentle yoga, shift in attitude. 

Problem is, I still harbor fear...fear of all the drug side effects.

I want off the drugs. Doctors do not support this, they just push more drugs.

my question... Do the DMARDS require taper? 

I thought I'd ask y'all.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Who knows..........  I think everything requires tapering off a little at a time. I agree, all the drugs are  wretched. The sharp, constant, tear producing pains were worse. Long term, I have no idea what will happen. It's a bit like being in a dark and scarey fun house at the amusement park as a child. Of course, the fun house has an exit....... RA is forever.  How did this happen to all of us?
  • Posted

I think prednisolone is the only one you have to taper( though you have to increase sulfasalazine slowly when you start it)

does your rheumy think you may have seronegative RA ie symptoms but no conclusive bloods?

• Posted

She has never said, just says the prednisone could be masking underlining problem. I thinks that's why doctors want us off the drug. But I don't have other symptoms really other than PMR pains. But my mother does have RA bad in her hands. Is it always hereditary? 

With havng osteoporosis now I'm really, really working on good diet (including anti inflammatory) and trying to get back to exercise, slowly.

• Posted

RA is not hereditary as such- it isn't automatically passed on. But having someone in the family with RA is an indicator to help them diagnose.

Pred is the usual treatment for PMR - and usually PMR has a limited time frame from what I ve read. It s the med that has affected me most with side effects- but needs must to get down the pain and you can taper off eventually ( I just have) long term use of pred can lead to osteoporosis .my rheumy said to have calcium and vit d tablets prescribed by GP.

But don't worry too much about the side effects of sulfasalazine. It s one of the most tolerated DMARDS and so is plaquenil.

• Posted

No, but I doubt she tells me everything. I went cold turkey off Meth and it was great for three weeks. then, I crashed.
    • Posted

RA is completely difeerent from osteo. I feel like taking a bill board to tell this to the world. Osteo is much better than RA. RA will kill us.
    • Posted

Maybe that s because the methotrexate was working- but stopping it caused a flare . In other words the problem was stopping the mxt not taking it ! I understand the reluctance we all have to take meds- but leaving the  RA auto immune condition untreated is far worse( pain, joint destruction, more likely to have heart or lung affected too) I know folk are wary of mxt as it is a ' chemo therapy drug' . But it s used for RA at a tenth of the strength for cancer. Unfortunately it does affect some badly which is why we have regular blood tests to check liver is ok - and why you ll find some posts on here where mxt caused problems or the side effects were too great. Many people on mxt have sustained help from it( ...and no...I don't work for a drug company ! )

i totally agree with you about people s perception of RA- some people call it rheumatoid disease to take the arthritis confusion out of it.

• Posted

lol Hi Rowbirdie. Thankls for your help. Evewill be starting Humira I will still be taking Imixitrate. I also take Folic Acid to help keep my stomach.

Thanks Rowbirdie

• Posted

Hello Layne Texas I read what you wrote and you are very close to me; oh by the way I live in east Texas in Tyler. What I have been diagnosed with RA, osteoporous, and fibromyalga. I have been prescribed only imixatrae, and folic acid. My doctors did give me a TB test I passed and now I can use humira. My biggest problem I have a lot of pain I am going to talk to my doctors about medicine for it. I do take lyrica, trazodone, zanaflex, tramadol, clonazepam. So I am getting some relief. Like I said I will talk to my RA doctor and see if he thinks the medicine needs to move the MG needs to go up or whatever. Sorry I wrote a months worth of a letter but this is my first time on this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.