Do doctors they they know getter than us.

Posted , 10 users are following.

My thoughts are if i dont have pmr why does steroids work after a couple hours the pain has improved i would say by 80 percent, and i do take paracetomol as well wich help .

i thought pain in shoulder muscles etc was part of pmr, just so fed up today

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Things other than PMR will respond to pred. However - when moderate doses of pred are used (15-20mg) it is felt that PMR is typical in the speed and degree of improvement - just like yours. Few other things respond quite so dramatically. So that becomes one of the contributing facts in making the diagnosis. Nothing is perfect - including arrogant doctors

• Posted

EileenH, 15 mg Pred, going skiing this afternoon for a few runs to see how i feel. PMR is under control, hip feels a little weak. I am going to take it easy not black diamonds! Thinking POSITIVE!

• Posted

Margaret, just last week my Rheumy said the same thing to me. She been treating me for 2 1/2 years, ups and downs with flare. The rest of her statement was if you had PMR you be off the Prednisone by now. I think your problems our all do to your back. I just use her to get my prescriptions. Yes, I have other pain issues I am an active 81 year old, but my PMR pain is different and when it hits i normally know it. What bothers me is that I slow down I am losing conditioning of my muscles; consequently more pain. I sorry, but doctors are not Gods, although some think so! Stay positive, active and smile! ☺️

• Posted

Michdonn, funny he said to pmr burns out after two years another reason you dont have it

• Posted

This is what they say in the US --- PMR burns out after 2 years, and it only mainly effects Europeans. This is what my Physical Therapist told me today while receiving strengthening instructions for my right shoulder tendon and biceps...

• Posted

have not got a clue, they obviously dont listen to the people who have it ,

i got the feeling he did not like me asking questiona or not accepting i knew more than him properbly about pmr.

• Posted

My PMR was diognosed in Septumber of 2011. MY GP would TELL ME THE SAME THING . Even after i showed him something from the national institute of health library referring to an 2008 Itialian study saying that after 5 yrs a good percentage of those with pmr are still on steroids. He told me just before he retired that it was his experience that pmr lasts 2 yrs.

• Posted

Margaret, this is the same Rheumy, direction I was following with my first flare and ended up in a wheelchair. My wife will not even go in the room with her, she really has the God complex. Some times when I go in she says to very sarcastically, do you have any thing new for me to read. I need her for my prescriptions. Think positive, stay active and smile. 🙂

• Posted

My gp said he would have said for me to stop after two years if I hadn't emailed him the latest 2017 Mayo Clinic PMR study given to us by ElaineH stating the average 5.6 year length of PMR before remission.He said he now has five PMR patients in my small Oregon coastal town with many retirees. He has received much of his info from this forum through my emails. I noticed one article on the information site of this forum that had this erroneous information. Too long ago to remember what one. I try to send the Mayo study to any author online who generates the two year PMR myth.

• Posted

Historically, some of the largest studies on PMR were done in Olmsted County, Minnesota - because there is a large gene pool from Scandinavia there. It isn't whether you are "European" or "American" - it is your historical background. A large proportion of US citizens will tell you very loudly they are "Scandinavian", "Italian", "Scottish" heritage - all of which sound pretty European to me.

As for 2 years, this study was done by a US doctor at a US clinic using US medical record data:

https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/resources/news-and-research/polymyalgia-rheumatica-steroid-side-effects-new-findings

So I suggest your PT does some research before pontificating.

• Posted

Eileen, you are very correct. My PT should know about PMR as it involves chronic inflammation of muscles. I will print out the PMR research findings and will hand it to her next time I will see her.

Luckily my Rheumy is better informed. She does have another patient who is reducing by 1/2 mg monthly, and she leaves the reduction up to me. I only need to see her every 6 months.

I am still struggling to get down from 9 to 8 1/2mg after 4 years.

• Posted

After 14 years of PMR and 9 years of pred - I'm currently at 15mg. Been down as low as 4mg...

• Posted

prednisone works on a number of problems. Although I am taking it for PMR it definitely helps in giving me relief from osteoarthritis pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.