Do epileptic seizures ALWAYS have triggers or do they usually have some without? Questions.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Sorry for this long post, it seems I can't make paragraphs.

Is it possible that epileptic seizures ALWAYS have a trigger or do they usually have at least some episodes with unprovoked causes? I also have some other questions.

Back in 2008, when I was 19 (almost 20) I started going through a very stressful time with A LOT of anxiety, OCD and an all around bad mental state. I started having seizures (or possibly syncope/passing out with convulsions). I never had anything like this prior.

I became VERY worried about them, but my mind eventually improved and it seems that since then there were no more seizures for almost a decade. I didn't really worry or think about the episodes anymore.

Eventually, I started having major problems with anxiety, OCD and health worries yet again. Then in July 2017, I started having seizures again, which seemed to coincide with the returning stress.

I tired myself out doing as much research as possible and this sounds more like pseudo-seizures (now called psychogenic non-epileptic seizures) to me caused by anxiety or quite possibly convulsive syncope which seems to be much more common than previously thought.

It seems that if I keep my mind clear (which is VERY hard to do, but possible with enough effort), I don't feel any different than normal. Healthy. But if I find myself focusing on my health concerns or fear of passing out, it seems to happen. If I am lucky enough to focus my attention to something else, it seems to dissipate and I am able to avoid anything happening.

From my research, it seems like everything I read says that you need multiple "unprovoked" seizures to be considered to possibly have epilepsy. I only ever had seizures/convulsive syncope when focusing on worries about something (or worried about having an episode in the first place), or severe anxiety/stress/etc.

I know it can't be determined with absolute certainty without the proper tests (and even then I read about wrong diagnoses), but what is the likelihood of having epilepsy when:

-The seizures/convulsive syncope spells only happen when focusing on worries (or having an episode in the first place), or severe anxiety/stress/etc.

-They were NEVER unprovoked without knowing they're coming on and having time to prepare/sit down. I always lose consciousness.

-Started in 2008 at age 19. It is rare to start at that age, as it's usually in very young children and the elderly. However, psychogenic non-epileptic seizures commonly start in young adults.

-Stopped in 2008 with no medication after the worries/anxiety/stress dramatically decreased and I decided not to care or think about it much anymore. It returned in 2017 around the time the worries/anxiety/stress came back along with severe health worries. Also when I went to the Emergency Room after one, I was treated for severe dehydration. I also had a CT, EKG, CBC and all came back normal. The doctor seemed to think it was likely a psychogenic seizure.

-There is no family history of epilepsy, but my mother has been known to pass out from health fears/worries. Same with one of my aunts.

-If squatting on the ground and I quickly stand up, I get severely dizzy and feel like I could pass out. This indicates a tendency for blood pressure to rapidly drop and people who experience this are prone to syncope (in one study, 12% of people who faint have convulsions that mimic seizures).

-Every consecutive episode seems to be less severe/scary than the previous ones, maybe because I fear it less each time until it eventually stops completely? This just screams psychological more than physical.

-I've never accidentally went to the bathroom when I passed out.

-I seem to have a high pulse. One doctor thinks that when I get anxious/panicked, my heart rate goes so fast that my brain doesn't get enough blood (or oxygen), which leads me to pass out with a convulsion.

It seems like this whole situation could be avoided if I keep myself occupied, which seems impossible with neurological or cardiology problems.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Just using logic, it seems they need triggers, but the complication happen with med levels or lack in your system, and possible quality of sleep.Supplements like St. John Wart have been shown to cause problems.
    • Posted

But people with epilepsy need to have multiple "unprovoked" seizures to be diagnosed. If there are certain triggers (like stress, medication, convulsive syncope, etc.), that doesn't sound like the seizures are unprovoked or unknown as to the probable cause. It sounds more like it is a mental cause rather than a physical cause.

Also, the majority of people with epilepsy have no warnings before a seizure comes on. Therefore, it sounds like the majority of people need no triggers either. If everyone always needed a trigger to have a seizure, some would find the solution to be simply avoid any possible triggers and take no medication.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.