Do heart issues cause nausea?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was told I had SVT in the hospital. I will see the cardiologist June 6th for the first time. I never knew my high heart rate wasn't normal. I started taking a beta blocker. I notice I can breathe better when I take it.

Today, I forgot and drank some coffee and my heart was racing like I felt faint and sharp chest pain. I felt so sick too like vomiting. Afterwards I felt weak and like made of jello so I laid down for a bit. Now I feel a little better now. I'm still tired and now I have a headache.

This has happened a couple times before...always when I forget the medicine and drink coffee. I can handle caffeine with medicine. I know I shouldn't have it. I feel addicted to it honestly.

I think maybe it's a mixture of caffeine and the cream making me sick.

I just don't know. I didn't even know I had anything wrong heart wise. I knew I had a high heart rate but thought nothing of it. Just thought I was just anxious because of the taking my vitals. But one time I went to the hospital my heart rate was high I forgot exactly what but the injected some medication to try to calm it down some and made me dizzy.

I feel like I'm in denial that there's something wrong really. I feel like it's just my mind and that when I go to the cardiologist there will be nothing...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

i also get nauseas, lightheaded and then i feel like I've been hit by a truck afterwards.

i can handle caffeine though, without issue. it just doesn't seem to be a trigger for me. heat on the other hand.

whilst it can be terrifying and extremely unconformtable, it's not life threatening. i can however, totally understand the shock when of being told that it's not nothing. i was so nervous before my first appointment, now im a regular haha.

i was however also told that if my heart was structurally sound and my problems were limited to rhythm and rate - then im doing okay. there are heaps of options in terms of treatment so no doubt your cardio will tell you which one is right for you!

• Posted

What would they do for official diagnosis? Event monitor and stuff. I'm not sure how it all works or what to expect.

I love coffee. Lol.

I feel so tired now. I'm ready to go home and take a nap or actually go to bed.

I take metaprolol (I forgot how it's spelt)

I was actually told by the hospital last year I had an episode but I finally got insurance and seeing the cardiologist soon now.

But maybe it was stress that my heart rate was so high then.

But I'll see what the doctor says. It does feel like I'm having a heart attack. I try to avoid alcohol too or if I do drink I drink a lot of water because I will feel so horrible like I'm dying.

I'm 21 years old btw. I feel to young for all these issues I have. I have a cousin who has POTS and she's always complaining about how bad she feels on fb. I also have another cousin who has Afib.

• Posted

well given that the hospital told you it was svt (and may have passed on your records), you may get to skip the whole diagnostic process. you will probably still have an ecg on the day, a holter monitor and maybe a stress test.

I too am a coffee addict, don't really drink and i am 22. I have IST and VT/SVT. I take ivabradine and the same beta blocker, but only the beta blocker if I have an attack. I am not interested in the side effects of the beta blocker from a 24/7 dose so this was my alternative. the ivabradine does the job on its own - and a good one at that with no side effects now.

it probably isn't stress alone. I know attacks can cause anxiety which make it so hard to relax but it's the attack in the first place that makes you feel that way. i am my cardios youngest patient so I get that, but at the end of the day - we are probably the prime age to be able to recover from and physically cope with these issues!

• Posted

well think about your question for a minute!

you get a high heart rate and that means that blood isnt getting pumped to all the right places anymore sufficiently enough to keep the body working normally.

that can cause dizzyness, nausea, headaches, and obviously anxiety.

caffeine is a powerful stimulant and if you got svt Id stay away from caffeine unless you know how to handle it. caffeine combined with lack of sleep and not drinking enough water combined with stress will cause more svts as will anxiety triggered by whatever it is that does it for you. there are triggers though, analyse the instances when you get svts.

live healthy and look after yourself. find a substitute for coffee. I drink diet coke, or pepsi, has a lot less caffeine than coffee.

• Posted

Thanks everyone! I'll cut out the caffiene. I'll try decaf.

I know when I get home I'm going to take my medication then go to bed. I'm wore out.

• Posted

Jess,

I have had SVT for 20 years and I didn't know for a long time what was wrong. I just thought it was extreme anxiety. There were times when I would get a severe headache after I had an attack.  I can never drink over one cup of coffee. Recently I had two cups and had an attack. You can try different techniques to stop the fast heart beat and sometime it works and sometime it doesn't. The only way to totally cure it, is with an ablation. An ablation has about a 90% cure rate. I am going to have an ablation this summer. I am so tired of dealing with svt. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.