Do I --- Don't I ????

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have recently changed  surgeries, and we were discussing My DD

and I asked if  there wa a dietician or nutricianist  attached to the practise.

No, was the answer . Why. ?? So I told him that WE Divi sufferers were

floundering in the dark ,about food, or lack of it,

His reply was ----- eat what you like until a flare occurs ,then eat a low

protein diet.  

Now,  what do you fellow  flare sufferers think about that  ???

protein diet. 

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jacqueline , I have managed to controll my attacks by figuring out what triggers them , my od GI told me they don't know alot about what triggers them it is different for each person, I myself take 4-8 meta mucile fiber  pill Every Day that keeps things moving, again different fiber help different people, meta mucile does not work for my husband he takes citrucel every day [even after having his sigmoid colon removed] , we found what work by trial and error. I also drink at least 40-60 oz of water a day, I also eat a yougart every day too that seems to help, but all of us with DD or IBS need extra probiotics .  My trigges are stress, Any thing that Drys out the body, Dehydration is a big factor  Alcohol, allergy meds, coidene pain meds, Fatty Foods, Salads & Not eating normaly & for me that is a bit of food ever 1hr or so. If I go too long with out eating, or gourge on a few big meals I also get flare ups. I know it sounds like you Doctor is uncaring but they really don't know what causes DD flare ups,  for years they thought it was seeds, what it really boils down to is to keep thinks moving, feces get stuck in the diverlosis pockets can become inflamed or infected, I was also told if I needed I could take  a dose of miralax every day , but the fiber is really what has worked the best, since starting it I get 80% less flare ups. There is a Book by Kristy Kroth that has helpful advice for those of us who suffer from these afflictions. So You could go to a nutricianist and maybe they can help , I suggest keeping a daily log of every thing you eat & drink and note when a flare occurs, any where from 12-20 hour before what every you ate is probably a trigger. Well I hope my advise helped both my Husband & I have suffered for over 15 years. 

• Posted

Hi, just read your reply and it has answered a question I was going to ask about how long it takes for something to bring on a flair up. I have started one today I think. Pain and although I have been to the loo about 4 or 5 times today I don't have diarrhea, but I do feel tired and slightly dizzy, is this normal, or normal for us

• Posted

I think you have responded to the wrong person. I don't  get flares

anymore since I started on Acidophilus  11 months ago. You and your husband's  regime sounds wearing and time consuming ,but if it 

works for you ,all to the good

• Posted

HI Jane, I am glad I was able to help, the amount of time it takes from eating/drinking and so on really depends on your metabalism, I am in my mid 50's and it usually occurres with in 14-18 hrs, but it could be longer or shorter for you , the way you can test your digestion rate , is a little gross but effective, eat corn then check to see when it come out again. I do not think dizzy is a good sign , you may just be weak, from going to the loo so often, and since you are in pain you are probably not eating, I think it would be a good idea to drink 2-3 X the amount of water you usually drink, and eat soft easy to digest foods, spagetti , scrambled eggs,mashed potatoes and such , at least that is what I do , I also get relief from the pain by taking 1 aleeve, even though the doctors are not keen on that, I know my body and I take all they say with a grain of salt attitude, they are NOT Gods, They just have a college education, but I always ask my self , wish I knew if they got A's or C's on their test ! 

• Posted

Thank you Jacqueline, I replied to jane 12708, but it probably showed up on your page because you started the threat ??? ,  but I am so glad the acidophilus is working for you, I eat a yogurt a day, do you mind telling me the dose you take? maybe i should increase my intake of acidophilus. 
    • Posted

I take two capsules a day ,one with breakfast, and one with dinner.

Do you take the capsules, or just  yoghurt. ? Didn't think they contained 

many good bugs. plus you have to keep shopping. 

• Posted

I just eat the yogurt, but I also eat cottage cheese, and take fiber every day, I may try the capsules, this year I had several flare ups, and they seem to become more frequent with stress & age,there are so many types of acidopilus & other pro biotic pills, what ones & strength are working for you, it may be time I add them to my regiment sad

• Posted

Have to say, that yugurt and cottage, don't even tickle the edges.If you want to really sort your flares out ,you need some bug bashing heavy artillary. ACIDOPHILUS with Pectin ..3 billion good  bacteria..

H&B  100 tabs in the bottle ... Take one with breakfast, one with 

dinner  . Your regiment sounds overloaded. You can dump the yogurt

and cheese and save yourself some money

Get  ready, go shopping ,and watch out for the offers on the Acid .

always have a spare bottle to hand

Now, you can control this problem, but you have to do it. Doctors have very little concept of how to help, 

Stress is a real War monger, and sticks it's nose into  everything

if you let it. New day ,,,New goal.. new you ..cheesygrin . 

• Posted

I apprieceate your advice, but for now I will stick to my yogurt & cottage cheese, at least i get some food besides the probitics in me for for the money  I spend, and I have supplemented that wih the acicophius pills, I do not know what pectin is but I will reaserch it, and if my regimend stops working for me , I will certainly try yours smile , What ever eliviates the pain, and the inconvienece of this condition, and I swear there are Doctors out there whh do understand & work with you, know that all of our body react differently , and Flares can be triggered by many things, we need to Know our bodies & find that good doctor to help, if you live on or near Long Island ,NY, I have a good ones in Nassa and suffollk counties smile 

• Posted

Doc: Eat those big greasy steaks until your colon pops!!! We'll be here to cut it out!!! LMAO.....

Thats what it sounds like to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.