Do I get another test for hypothyroid?

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is going to be a long post - so bare with me!

I have had a load of things happening health wise in the last 4 years or so - had hiatus hernia repair with toupet wrap, full hysterectomy due to a massive fibroid and after the hysterectomy I thought things would start settling down.

Fast forward 12 months post hysterectomy - and I have had bowel issues from hell - as well as weight issues - where I have been dieting like mad - and can't lose any weight - my GP sends me to see gastroenterologist - who examines me and says noone has checked my thyroid. He tests this - but only TSH which was 3.37 - and I am told this is 'normal'. However - as I look into this I discover that a lot of the 'vague' symptoms I have been experiencing are very linked to thyroid - and I was writing off due to having such major surgery last year. I have lost part of my eyebrows, get very tired during the day - even when I am busy and wake up every day with a hoarse voice - it goes after a while - then I also get night cramps and pins and needles in my arms and legs (I actually bought new pillows & mattress thinking I was lying on my back badly!). To top it all - I have been taking A-Z multi vitamins to try and help with the tiredness (and forgot to tell gastro-doc pre-test) and find they contain biotin. I have now stopped taking these as I found out they can mess with TSH results.

Am I right to ask GP for another test? I know that only the TSH was tested only and not T4 and T3.

Thanks for reading!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Glennie,

Sorry to hear about all your issues.  I was diagnosed hypothyroid 20 years ago and not once have I been given a T3 test on the NHS. I have even had to beg for a T4.

I think your TSH is definitely suspicious and does warrant further investigation. I know I feel worse when my TSH rises above 1, so to have a TSH of 3.37 whilst technically being within the normal range, it might not be your optimum normal.

As the NHS has been generally useless with my Hashimotos, I use a private blood testing company.  They send me finger prick tests which you do at home, then post them back to their lab and they interpret the results and email you.  You can ask for T3, T4, whatever test you want and it doesn't cost the earth.  I would tell you who I use but I expect the info would be blocked in this post.

But if hassling your GP for T4 and T3 testing gets you nowhere, at least you know that there are private tests available.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks Ruth,

Please can you send my a private message with that information - I was saying to my husband that I should maybe look into having a test done myself. I know the NHS is under pressure at the moment - and I have to say my GP and local hospital have given good care in the last few years - so I have no gripes with them at all. I didn't do myself any favours by taking multivits either - as I do think they may have tainted my test results - apparently biotin type chemicals are used in testing TSH. I've stopped taking them and have an appointment with my GP in 3 weeks - by that time any remnents of suppliments I have been taking will be out of my system!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.