Do I go back and demand a new knee?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi, I was a runner in the army and the years of running in boots have had its toll. I had micro fracture surgery just over 2 years ago, but the pain in left knee is horrendous. I went to see a new registrar last week who said my knee cap was gone, looking at xray confirmed that the locking is due to the left and right side of knee are bone on bone but I seem to have a little cartilage in the centre. He said at 49 I'm too young, in the mean time keep off stairs, hills, don't stand too long and limit walking! I'm actually annoyed I didn't request to see the consultant as my right knee is hurting at times, plus I'm getting pain in my hip which I have no doubt is due to my knee. I now walk on my outer foot, so when standing still my posture forces my feet over so my large toe is raised off the floor. Has anyone been here? Why is it not good to get a new knee at 49? I'm worried it will be a new hip to at this rate, any thoughts advice welcomed

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi

In response to your post I am a 50 year old female who was in exactly the same position as you for years knee cap completely gone bone on bone and had repeated surgeries and injections for 10 years I am now 8 weeks post total knee replacement and patella resurface and although the physio has been really tough I cannot believe the difference already I feel I have my life back they kept telling me I was too young but from personal experience although I was terrified to have it done it has been the best decision my consultant made

Do not put up with the pain because as I was told it will never get better

Let me know how you get on

• Posted

Aah great a reply is it a female thing to be terrified, you've just got to bite the bullet, the reality is somewhat never as bad as you would envisage, hard work recovering not just physically but mentally. Forward thinking that's what my daughters tell me !! The next replacement in a few weeks, I could run for the hills , but next year I'll be running it will be behind me and the last year will fade into obscurity. Mobility it's worth it!!! X

• Posted

Hi, it's worrying isn't it I definitely see a Consultant. Your quite young my Consultant told me mine would last 15/20 years. Mobility is so important quality of life. My husband had a hip replacement 24yrs ago and is still going strong. It's possible to research Consultants these days, I did for my knee spent time and chose wisely, I'm thrilled with my outcome. My advice do your homework, chose wisely, it can make a big difference. Good luck !!!

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear you've got this problem.  They don't like doing knee replacements on younger people because from what I gather, there is a limited life on knee replacements and each time they have to renew them they are more problematic, so they hold off for as long as possible, but they DO do them on some people of your age and if your life is being wrecked by your knee now, then it needs to be sorted.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about your pain but have been there. I am a caterer and standing and walking was not good. Xray revealed bone on bone. Even went for second opinion. Same diagnosis. I was told if I did not have the surgery it would then affect my hip because you are favoring one side when walking. You are young, I was 70 you will heal faster than I am. Lol. But aware healing takes time
    • Posted

Thanks, having had a broken knee cap and major knee surgery 2 years ago, I think a new knee will be the best option as I'm really worried about the pain I'm getting in my hips. Great replies guys

• Posted

Not sure where yu are, but in most places if you accept what they sa without fighting, you don't seem to get the operaton you need.  If it's UK, then they are tightening up on who qualifies for a knee replacement, and apparently you have to be unable to sleep, and in permanent pain to be considered.  Complain loudly!  At 49 to tell you to put your life on hold for the next ten or fifteen years is ridiculous. 

• Posted

Thanks for that, I wake up at night and take 30/500 co codamol and I take 500mg of naproxen daily. I'm in UK, Scotland actually, tomorrow I'm going to call to see if I can get a copy of my xrays so I can't take a good look. I think I'm going to push this.

• Posted

They will not do TKR on younger people unles absolutely necessary due the life of the prosthesis. At 49 & with all the problems you're experiencing you absolutely need this op!

Your only recourse is to be a pain in the a**e! Get your GP onside, & get the GP to write to the consultant & say that for you it is necessary! Half the battle (forgive the pun!) is getting your GP to help!

I mean for heavens sake, you got this problem fighting for Queen & Country! It's about time your country did something for you!! The way we treat our discharged soldiers is awful!

If you don't get any joy with this consultant ask for a 2nd opinion, it is your right! Research a more sympathetic consultant & ask to be referred to them!

I'm afraid in the uk now it's a question of who shouts loudest wins esp with the NHS.

Good luck with this. You deserve to have a new knee just as much as I. In fact, look at it logically, you are young enough to be a productive member of society, whilst I will be drawing my pension next year! It really should be a no brainier!

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

You are not too young to get a new knee. My daughter37 has had two in the past five years. You need to find a new surgeon. I have had multiple revisions, quad repairs and a kneecap that broke off and they all were done because it was necessary. Waiting in your case is already causing you too much trouble. Who knows what is happening to your hip and ankles and your good leg. Please find another surgeon the one you have is wrong.
  • Posted

Hi there. The short answer to your question? YES!!

Please DO insist on getting a TKR - your age should definitely not be a bar to this happening.

I was 48 when I was first properly diagnosed with severe bone on bone in both knees: I had my right TKR around 8 months later, still aged 48, and my left was done 7 months later at the age of 49!!

At the beginning of the process, I always saw a Registrar at the hospital and the one I saw most often was very reluctant to refer me for surgery as "Mr Howard doesn't like operating on younger patients". Fortunately I saw a different Registrar who had no qualms about putting me on the waiting list, and 3 months later I was in theatre!

Interestingly, when I finally got to meet my Surgeon, we had a long discussion about age bias, and he is vehemently ANTI "reverse ageism", as he calls it - he thinks it's highly unfair that there is such prejudice against younger patients who, in his experience, end up with a much bigger improvement in their quality of life than a lot of the older ones.

So the Registrars DONT know it all, so please don't let them prevent you from getting the treatment you so desperately need.

• Posted

I was the exact same, leg deforming (consultants words) walking on outer foot, avoided down hills, bone on bone, knee cap was approx a month away from my surgeon not being able to do the tkr?! etc etc. I was 40 years and 5 days when I had my Tkr I'm 14 wks post op and just been signed off from my consultants care with only my movement X-rays every 12 months. I'm in the UK. Get all the advise you can, it's a long painful road but I can see light at the end of the tunnel plus that all day everyday pain has gone.

Good luck

Michelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.