Do I have a Hernia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My father had an Hernia in his 40's and had to get it surgically fixed because he was lifting something very heavy. I'm 19 and i had a very slight pain on just below and to the right of my belly button. The pain was only when i flexed my abs very hard, but not if i touched it or when I was just sitting. Nothing provoked it as far as I know and it only lasted about 48 hours. Also there's no bulge at all whether I'm coughing or not. My Paramedic stepfather said I probably have a hernia. I'm going to Navy boot camp in about 2 weeks and it's 8 weeks long. My stepfather recommends i just don't push it hard in boot camp and then see the doctor while I'm in school afterwards since then I won't get my ship date pushed and then i'll have health insurance What would you recommend?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would follow the advice from your stepfather. It seems well thought out to me.

• Posted

I agree I think you'll be fine but don't push yourself to hard and make sure to get it checked when you get back home.. As long as you don't have a bulge and its not hurting.. Best of luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.