Do I have a Hernia? Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? HELP

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, I'm hoping I can get some advice from anyone who has had any type of hernia as I'm beginning to freak out a little!

I'll start from the beginning, around 2 years ago when I was 18 I woke up one morning extremely bloated and could feel a sort of mass just below my ribs on my right side. This feeling of the mass went on for a few weeks or so, I went to see the Dr who sent me for an ultrasound on the whole of my abdomen. They couldn't find anything wrong but I was still having problems and worries about this lump which was hard, fairly large and I could move it around as if I could pop it back into myself? Also if I lay in a particular position and breath in and out I could feel it moving around? It doesn't protrude out of my skin however so isn't visible. I was sent back to have another ultrasound a few months later who again couldn't find anything. After this I just forgot about it and went about as normal, I didn't have many other problems. The lump was painless so was pretty easy to ignore. Fast forward to now, I'm nearly 21 and have still been having problems with this lump! I went to another Dr at my university a few months ago who claimed he couldn't feel anything and that was that. However the past few days I've had a lot of pain around the area and the mass is very prominent to feel, it seems like it's gotten larger? The pain is like a stabbing, burning sensation. I've been stupid and done some googling which has just freaked me out and I'm desperate for some advice. The reason I'm thinking it could be a hernia is because it seems to flair up and doesn't cause me constant problems, it disappears when I lie down and also if it was anything a lot worse I feel it would've been causing me many more problems over the 2 years, which it hasn't until now! I can't see a Doctor until I'm back at uni in January so have an agonising wait until then!

If you've got this far then thank-you for reading, any advice or comfort would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone who has a hernia identify with any of my symptoms?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Ninaxo

I actually had a similar situation. 2 years ago I started hearing an odd noise from my abdomen. sort of a squishy sound when I bent over and stood up. Also when I used the bathroom. I mentioned it at a doctor's visit and she said she didn't really feel much but if it got worse to let her know. In the meantime I was suffering from ibs . I told her later yes it was worse and I felt a firm mass by my bellybutton that I could move around a bit. My husband said it sounded like a hernia. I was sent to gastroenterologist and had checkup. She scheduled colonoscopy and endoscopy. said everything looked ok, people's bodies make noise. forward 2 months and now I feel larger mass and louder noises. i didn't usually feel pain just nauseous at times. hen i had shooting pain across my belly when i sneezed or coughed and had to hold my stomach. back to the doctor. she ordered ct scan. saw surgeon on next appointment. I have 2 large hernias that were due to my vertical hysterectomy incision. it weakened my abdominal wall and I did put on a few pounds after surgery. I had surgery at 59 and am retired. Now I need to lose weight before the doctor will do the hernia surgery. I don't know which doctor I am more angry at for not listening! if my doctor had listened from the start i may have had only one hernia or could have been fixed sooner. I am sorry for the long story but listen to your body and keep pushing the doctors till you have an answer. I did, not that I'm happy I have them but I am lucky I can live with it until I can have the surgery.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get answers soon.

• Posted

Hey, thank-you for replying. I feel like I definitely do need to push the Drs to send me for tests as I have a history of health anxiety so they usually just put everything down to that however this is not something I can imagine! I'm glad you got the answer to your problems even though it wasn't in the quickest way, I hope you get the surgery soon and everything goes well for you. 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.