Do I have a thyroid problem?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, I am a 19 year old female with symptoms that suggest I have some sort of what I believe is a thyroid problem. Lifestyle wise, I am very active, I play hockey to a high level and I am also a runner. I follow a plant-based diet although I do eat fish, however, I make sure I am getting in all my required vitamins/ enough protein/carbs and healthy fats. Strangely however I have been experiencing thyroid problem related symptoms although I have ad a thyroid function test which came back normal..

My symptoms include being severely tired ALL the time- Come mid day I feel I need to sleep and eyes get incredibly heavy, I get really bad brain fog and can't think clearly at all, even when trying really hard. I get series of headaches throughout the day, which normally begin early afternoon and last until night time. I have also become VERY emotional, and out of the blue feel like crying or become really angry and annoyed, which is so horrible. In addition to this, my hair has been falling out, my skin is very dry and my nails are weak/ break easily. I also feel the cold easily and often need to put a heater on in my room, as well as this I have not had my menstrual cycle for 2 years and have recently been experience random abdominal pain which prevent me from moving. My mother does suffer from Hypothyroidism.

As for my blood test results:

Blood glucose levels- Abnormally low so no result shown

Cholesterol- 5.3 mmol/L < 5 – So too high

TSH- 4.09 (0.27-4.2 is the normal range) – So to the high end

FT- 14.2 (12 – 22 is the normal range) – So to the lower end

Please, please, if anyone knows whether I could have a potential thyroid problem or something else, can you let me know. Does anyone think I could I have Hashimotio’s disease? This has been affecting me for years now, especially issues which fatigue and It is impacting my sport/ work/ social life.

Thank you so much in advance if you know what’s wrong/could help 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi cscarlett, I'm sorry you're feeling unwell! I'm a 21 year old female with hashimotos and was diagnosed when I was six. They diagnosed me by a very high TSH and a huge goiter. I know that some people can have thyroid problems even though their numbers are in the normal ranges. Did you get your T4 and T3 tested? Also, I know you said you're on a plant based diet, but do you eat any gluten/wheat? Celiac disease has symptoms very similar to hypothyroidism and could also explain your abdominal pain.

• Posted

With your TSH I would say that there is a definitely a possibility of thyroid issues.  For myself, a TSH over 2.00 makes me feel bad.  To find out if you have Hashimoto's, you need blood test that look for antibodies.  These test are the Tgab and TPO antibody test.  If either one or both are positive, then it confirms Hashimoto's.  I would ask your doctor to run these test and for a referral to an endocrinologist, who specialize in thyroid issues.

• Posted

Thank you for your respnse! Ok, I shall do that when I book in to see my GP, I have a lump on the right side of my neck, which is sore to touch however i don't know whether that could be a goitre or just a strained muscle. I really don't want to go but I know something needs to be done as I have not been feeling well for sometime now! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.