Do I have ablation or not?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

Basically I've suffered with svt since I was 16 (now 33)

I have been offered ablation before but always chickened out as the op date nears)

But recently my attacks tend to be much worse, I guess as I'm getting older. But I'm still not sure if they are bad enough to risk ablation?

I go through stages and usually get one attack every two weeks but from out the blue can go six months without one. Then when you think it's gone, boom an attack every one/two weeks.

Also when I was younger I could stop them myself or sit them out.

Now I have to go A and E for adenosine with my heart rate at about 260?

I've tried beta blockers but have a naturally low heart rate at rest so feel really poorly on them.

I don't feel svt is interfering massively with my life (apart from when I'm having an episode) but I'm worried about how it's worsening?

would love to hear other people's thoughts

Thanks smile

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I would do an ablation. The only thing that sucks is you do feel out of it for a couple of weeks, but that also can vary from person to person. Also an SVT ablation doesn't have that many risks. On the other hand I had wpw and one of the risks with my ablation was cardiac arrest, thankfully I had it with no complications but it is taking me a while to get back to normal, it's almost been 3 months. But like I said it varies from person to person.

• Posted

Hi Sam. I'm male aged 58 living in Ireland. I had SVT for about 20 years until I had and ablation 5 years ago that cured it completely. I only wish I had it years earlier - before it interfered with my life and enjoyment of things like parenthood. 

I didn't realise how much of a prisoner I was until it was gone from my life.

Ablation is a low risk procedure with a high success rate. 

Go for it smile

• Posted

Hi Sam. Go for it. There is no risk. I had it some 3 weeks ago and am now free of SVT. I am a caregiver and was back at work a couple of days after it - although no heavy lifting. The feeling of being able to kick SVT to touch is great. Last week Jamie posted the same concerns as you, had the procedure and it was a success. PS. I am 67.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think it's everything I've been considering but it's great to hear it from other people.

I'm due to hear about my appointment in the next few days, so fingers crossed x

• Posted

I,m 70 and have just been put on bisoprolol in feb, i,ve suffered with this for over 40 years and its affected my life, it does get worse as you get older, i would go for it  you are young.  I,m waiting to go to Barts for an ablation but i,m scared because of my age and they said i may need a pacemaker.  At the moment its controlled with bisoprolol, i dont like the breathlessness but its the lesser of the 2 evils.

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for the reply

I was on bisoprolol 2.5mg and it made me feel poorly too.

Try to stay positive and think that after 40 years you'll finally get it sorted. It makes me realise that I need to go for this now as it's clearly never going on it's own.

I hope all goes well for your op.

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I can totally relate to your situation. I have had svt for 20 years, but they have gotten progressively worst as I get older.  One time I went four or five years without an attack. As you said, for many years when I would have an attack, they would go away quickly. Now, even if I take medication, they do not stop unless I go to the hospital and get adnosine. I have cancelled one ablation, but I had another attack two weeks ago, and while at the hospital, waiting for the adnosine, I decided to definately get an ablation. It's just too stressful, always being in fear of an attack. The doctor at the ER told me most people with svt, get to a point where they just want to stop the attacks and go for an ablation. There is a very good success rate of about 90%. 

• Posted

It sounds as if we're both in the same situation. I think I'm at that point now after also spending last Friday night in hospital having adenosine. We need to do this smile

• Posted

Update

Had the ablation yesterday, feeling sore today but the doctor is confident it's fixed. My svt was so sensitive they didn't need to trigger it, just laying down and them putting the catheters in triggered it. Bottom line it was a pretty easy procedure and it wasn't half as bad as I expected. Advice for anyone suffering, go for it smile

• Posted

Thrilled for you. Hope it works out as well as it has for me smile
    • Posted

Sam, that's excellent news.  I'm predicting with confidence that you're feeling about as "up" as you've ever felt.  I'd also like to encourage so many of us SVT folks who've been, understably, resistant to ablation to pay close attention to your experience.  Being released from the SVT monster's bite is one of medicine's best gifts to humanity.  Sam, please enjoy each and every new day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.