Do I have an eating disorder? Please help.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 21 year old female, I am 5'3 and weigh around 103-104lb (7 stone 5-6lb).

I used to be just under 10 stone a few years ago and crash dieted to lose the weight. I wanted to be 9 stone, then 8 and a half, then 8, then I was happy bouncing between 7.10-7.12 for a few months. But recently it has dropped, I was fine at 7 and a half, but as it's gone down I've wanted it to stay down. I weigh myself everyday before eating/drinking. If my weight is at 7.5 I'm not too bad, but jf it js at 7.6 I panic that I'm getting fat and will keep gaining. I try not to eat until my evening meal, which I always make sure I havr, though sometimes end up snacking before if I start to feel too hungry. I have 2 cups of tea a day with 2 sugars in each to try and suppress my hunger. I also worry that when I start eating, I won't stop. Sometimes I will have a big takeaway, medium pizza all to myself, cobtinue eating it even if it hurts, and then half an hour after, continue eating. I never make myself sick/take laxitives and wouldn't, but I sometimes try not to eat all day in case I lose control and keep eating and eating. I have anxiety/depression/ocd ossues anyway and I'm worried I may have some sort of eating disorder too.

Sorry if this is a lot of jumble, but any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Even if you don't have an eating disorder, it sounds like you have issues with your body image and food.  You really need to speak to your GP and be completely honest with them.  If you can't tell them outright, print what you've written and ask them to read it so they can ask the right questions.  It is better to get this sorted early before you start to have problems with your health because your BMI is in the underweight category.  Being underweight can damage your health and can contribute to a weakened immune system, fragile bones, fertility problems and a lack of energy.  I wish you luck and hope you go for that help. x
    • Posted

Thank you for replying. I have a therapist and have mentioned some of the issues to him, eating lots ine day then barely eating the next to compensate which he tried to claim was normal. It leaves me a little stuck with talking to anybody about it as I know it's a big, stressful issue for me, but if it is apparently normal, then maybe I shouldn't be complaining about it. Thank you so much for your response.
    • Posted

Maybe eating lots one day then barely eating the next day would be normal if your BMI was in the "normal" range.  However, yours isn't and that is why it should be addressed.  If you can't raise this again with him pointing out your BMI, maybe your GP could because your GP should take it seriously. Or maybe you need a therapist who understands food issues.  Certainly you don't need to lose any more weight.  Maybe knowing that being underweight is as dangerous as being overweight might help you overcome your anxiety over eating  regularly.  Whatever, it sounds to me that you could easily become anorexic and that is a very difficult slippery slope to climb back up once you have started on it so please be kind to yourself and try to eat healthily.  The bonus of that is you probably won't even gain much weight but will feel so much better.  The more you don't eat the more your brain produces a hormone to tell you you are hungry so that will bring your mood down and whatever issues you have will seem a lot worse. Good luck xx
    • Posted

He knows my weight and height and says I look a healthy weight to him. My GP knows my weight too and hasn't raised concern. I will try and mention it to somebody again if and when I get the chance. I don't typically want to lose weight just not to gain, but I feel better watching the scales go down rather than up. I know how dangerous it is and don't want to slip into that, I just feel a bit lost with who will understand when I try and talk. But I shall try again, thank you so much for answering. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.