Do I have an problem?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So I got ill about a month ago with vomiting, but then I started to lose weight so I started making my self sick after meals, and now I’m struggling to keep anything down even fluids, I don’t want to approach my doctors just yet but I have uncontrollable vomiting from just drinking, the doctors at the hospital called it cyclic vomiting syndrome but I didn’t tell them I was also making my self sick. I suffer from bipolar and borderline personality disorder and I don’t know what to do or even if it classes as an eating disorder. I’m so lost 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natalie,

I'm sorry to hear you were ill. Quite often when we have sickness bugs that have lasted a little while, appetite can reduce as a result of the stomach shrinking. This can make you feel a lot more bloated when you do try and return to normal eating patterns, so I can understand why you'd want to get rid of this. It's also worth noting that when you do have a stomach bug, you lose a lot of fluid which means your "weight" will reduce, although this is only water weight. If you reduce your appetite as well, then yes you will lose weight.

If you are able, I would start by re-introducing foods that cause less bloating. Rice is a good one, as this will feel more comfortable as you start to increase your stomach again. Beans and pulses will make you feel more bloated, although these are important foods to consume in life. Small meals - little and often - will also help.

This is not a qualified doctor forum, so I/others aren't able to diagnose. I wouldn't try and self-diagnose either. Eating disorders are very complex mental illnesses, and causes will vary.

If you are able, I would encourage you to be open about what is going on with the GP. Beat - the UK's eating disorder charity - provide some really great resources on their website to help prepare for a meeting with their GP. I'd also give their free, confidential helpline a ring (there are also other services such as online chat, twitter support and email support if you don't feel up to speaking on the phone). Their helpline is open every day of the week from 3pm-10pm. They also run online support groups.

Hope this is helpful.

• Posted

Your diagnosis is similar to an eating disorder. Only without a good psychologist you can not do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.