Do I have anemia, my symptoms and blood results

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear all,

I need your help in interpreting my blood results. My symptoms are extreme fatigue, dizziness , high pulse rate, unbalance, and lightheaded.

I did many tests and brain MRI and all normal. My doctor said nothing abnormal. But low MCV and MCH values drawn my attention whether I have anemia or not. The results are as follows:

WBC 3.78

RBC. 5.91

HGB. 13.9

HCT. 43.6

MCV. 73.8

MCH. 23.5

MCHC. 31.9

RDW-SD. 39.5

RDW-CV. 14.7

Also I had Ferritin and Iron tests as follows:

Ferritin. 63.8

Iron. 80

Thank you for your help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am not a doctor. It's useful to see the labs ranges. It looks like you have small blood cells. This could be for a number of reasons. 

Your ferritin is not clinically significant I.e. It's likely to be in range but could be the cause of your symptoms. 

I think you could have iron deficeincy anemia with the lack of iron causing the smaller blood cells.

Are you going to follow up with a doctor to repeat test plus also test b12 and folate?

• Posted

Thanks a lot for the information. Yes I think also that I have iron defficiency . I tried to take iron Tablets since a week (35 mg twice a day) and I noticed a slight improvement in the symptoms. The problem is that my doctor is not convinced that I have anemia. My B12 test was before 5 months and it was 580 and I think it is good. Do you mean folate ( B9) can cause anemia itself? I haven't checked it yet.

• Posted

Hi, I have blood tests regular due to medication I take, I'll give you some normal ranges according to my record book from GP, white blood cell count is 4.0 to 11.0, haemoglobin 13.5 to 17.5 for a male adult, MCV 80 to 100, Ferritin I presume is the iron store measure which I think is 20 to 400, mine is 39, these measurements are in the UK, I don't recognise some of your other readings, if you look them up online it may tell you.

• Posted

Thanks a lot for the information. Actually, my MV and MCH are below the normal range and Im afraid this causes an iron defficiency (small red blood cells) although HGB is in the normal range!
    • Posted

Hi, no, the ferritin measurement as far as I know is used to measure the store, mine is 39 which is in the normal range, 20 to 400 I think, and the blood iron measurement which mine is between 12 to 13.5 is low but that's because I have Rheumatoid arthritis so it never rises, I don't seem to have any issues at this level.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.