Do I have another abscess after surgery?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So around 3 weeks ago I was in extreme pain every time I went to have a bowel movement and the pain lingered for hours after. The pain was like a deep throbbing pain that was sharp and persistent. I eventually went to the doctors and they said I had a perianal abscess and they sent me to the hospital. The hospital cut the abscess and drained it under GE and I've been healing since. The healing was going well until I started to have some loose stool yesterday, as soon as I had loose stool that excruciating pain came straight back and this confused me since I had my abscess drained so I didn't think it would be a problem anymore.

A few hours later I had a bath so I could clean the area and also feel the area to see what was going on. I felt a large fleshy lump/bump between my cheeks but above the anus not on it. I know for a fact this wasn't there before my operation and now it is, it seems like the pain was there before but there was no lump but now there is. The pain only happens when loose stool or slightly loose stool passes. Could this be another abscess, could it be something else? I honestly don't know.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I feel like when they removed the abscess that I had, they missed something else which was causing me the most pain, because the abscess that they found was further inside the anus and I never remembered having much pain there. What could they have missed? I'm going to get it checked out tomorrow but I'd like to hear what other people think while I wait? Thanks

• Posted

Hi, 

It could easly be that you now have anal fistula formed there. I have had similar experience and had seton inserted under GA 8 months ago. Seton helps to drain abscess and to stop infections. Next thing I will be having is removing seton and LIFT procedurre will take place ( after MRI my specialst told me that my anal fistula is a complex )I have been seeing  my colorectal surgeon on regular basis (to check if everything is ok.)

There is always some discharge but there is no pain as it used to be. It does need to be washed at least twice a day and have to have gauze all the time) 

It has been long and draining process but I hope that my next surgery willbring some closure. (Thus success rate of that procedure is around 70%)😐

All the best

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying and I do hope that everything goes alright for you. I saw my doctor today and he examined me but couldn't see much except for inflamed skin. He pressed on the area where I feel the terrible pain and I told him it was there, so he said it could be an abscess under the skin. He gave me two options, he said I could go back to hospital again (which I really don't want to do if not necessary) or to take some antibiotics, so i took them today. If they don't work in a weeks time i'm going to the hospital.

I did have an MRI recently to scan my small intestine for Crohn's Disease, do you know if they would see an abscess or a fistula on the scan when the results come back?

Thank you smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.