Do I have anxiety? Or is it something else?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Sorry this is going to be a little long but I feel like I need to explain. I got the best possible grades in my AS exams because I wanted to apply to Medicine and initially they look at your AS grades. However, I didn't get any offers from any of my choices. I was an overachiever from the start and always got into the school of my choice, into the programmes etc due to my grades however this time I failed. My A2 year was a flop for me, even though looking back now, my grades weren't all that bad. I just had zero motivation to study for my A2 exams, I just felt let down. 

I got into a different degree in University which is a tough degree (Engineering) and I really do want to do well and study but I feel incredibly anxious when I think about going to lectures so I stopped going and started revising by looking at the recorded lectures online. Then when it came to January exams, whenever I would open a book to revise I'd feel like I was going to throw up and I just basically didn't revise and failed. Now it's coming up to summer exams and I really do want to do well. But again it's the same twisting feeling in my chest whenever I open a book. I have managed to do some revision but it usually happens with me crying throughout which isn't very productive. 

I also tend to zone out a lot during the day so I feel like I'm not really living. Like I'm in a dreamscape, if that makes sense.

I don't really know what it is but I don't think people have a phobia of studying. I really want to do well and pass my exams but I physically cannot. Anyone have any idea what this is?

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It is anxiety, cant tell if you are overwhelmed or your gut is telling you to pick a different field of study.  You should probably speak with your Doctor they pills they can give you so you can finish up school with such intense anxiety.
  • Posted

You have made an important first step in reaching out for help and advice about what sounds like anxiety, but i am not a professional.

Now you need to contact your Doctor/University administration and get some professional support - it could be therapy or medication or a combination - acknowledging that there is something different with your behaviour is the hardest part!

also, university will make accomodations for students with physical and mental health challenges so you need to get a diagnosis so you can begin the process with the administration.  You will have to be proactive and advocate for yourself which may seem overwhelming now but will help you to secure your future possibilities.

• Posted

Thank you smile I got into contact with the student wellbeing centre and am trying to see if they can help me with my attendance issues and other things. Thanks for your advice smile
  • Posted

Anxiety obviously gets the better of you at exam times

Anxiety thrives off stress and fear

consider therapy

Stay Strongcry

• Posted

Thank you smile trying my best at the moment. Fingers crossed for the future. 
  • Posted

do you enjoy the subject of engineering or find it hard to study?

richard

• Posted

well if you want to be an engineer you know what to do don't you! no two ways about it.  devise a revision plan and get started early.
    • Posted

I do have a plan, unfortunately my mind still seems to be in panic mode whenever I think about revision or do any revision. It's incredibly uncomfortable - plus there's the whole going to lectures issue. Revision isn't hard, it's just my mind has an unsettling response to it.
  • Posted

how are you going to resolve this without dropping out of college tee?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.