Do I have BDD?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello, i am a 17 year old male and i have recently started wondering whether i have BDD or not.

I have always been a skinny person but in the last year or so, i have started feeling extremely bad about my appearance. This has gotten worse in the last 2 months. I have started exercising what my parents call excessively, continuing to exercise even when i hurt my wrist, because every time i look in the mirror i feel a feeling of disgust in my appearance. I find myself looking in the mirror at different angles and stuff multiple times a day and also when passing around shop windows/cars etc..., hoping to see myself in a form i would call acceptable. This has caused me to avoid certain clothes/wear mostly wide hoodies to hide my form as i don't like the thought of exposing how i look. I am also worried about going to places like swimming pools or the beach this summer because i know people will most likely judge/make fun of me for it. For the record, i am 172 centimeters / 5 feet and 8 inches tall, and weigh approximately 63kgs / 138 pounds.

Thank you in advance for reading and for your answers!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I tend to think at 17 we are all a bit over aware of the way we are growing into our bodies, male and female alike, you don't seem as though you are going to be letting this dominate your life or you wouldn't be asking for advice.

Make sure that you don't overdo the exercise and whatever you take out calories wise you put back with healthy calories especially as your young and still have more growing to do.

Eat a well planned diet with plenty of protein and good carbs etc and plenty of water so you don't drain body tissue.

Height and weight will alter as you get older and remember we all see our bodies totally differently to the way others perceive us

Take care of yourself and stay safe

• Posted

Thank you very much! I thought that it was normal i was just afraid i would spiral down into more problems, but i will try to keep it healthy 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.