do i have bipolar?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi guys, i havent been diagnosed with bipolar as yet but i wanted to ask some questions about it where i wouldnt get judged for my behaviour, moods etc.. and also im not sure about the signs, is anyone free to perhaps talk with me and help me? i dont have family for support so i rely on forums

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I can understand the desire but I would recommend against it. Bipolar is notoriously difficult to diagnose,even for a professional and many of the symptoms can be shared with other conditions. What could happen easily is you convince yourself subconsciously that you have bipolar when you may not,and that isn't helpful for a psychiatrist (the only one who can make a true diagnosis). I would say don't research it at all, go get a diagnosis based solely on your own experiences ,its the best way to get to the bottom of thinga
    • Posted

i thought so too, i didnt think i did have it but a pysciarists seem to think so, i just wanted to ask questions but i guess ill wait and then i can move forward
  • Posted

I agree jmcg that bipolar disorder is difficult to diagnose even for mental health professionals. I was only properly diagnosed five years ago (age 60) prior to that it was assumed that I had serious depression.  As you may know antidepressants can trigger hypomania or full-blown mania - the dose of SSRI I had been prescribed did just that.

I was devasted by the diagnosis of biopolar, it had so many negative conatations,  However, the diagnosis provred correct and the medications were changed so that I haven't experienced any extreme highs or lows (in 5 years).

There are people who opt not to take meds. You probably need to gather all the information that you can at this point.

I can understand if you are hestiatant to embrace the idea of being bipolar but do get a diagnosis and consider medication if the psychitrist suggests it.  If you doubt the psychirist can you see another one? get a second opinion?

I've read alot over the years and belong to two online support groups. Just finished an 8 week course called Bi-Polar IN Order, which has provided new and encouraging tools. The group is called Bipolar Advantage if you want to check it out.

When the psychitrist told me that I had "a mood disorder of the bipolar nature", I freaked out and isolated myself. within six months I experienced mania and a psychotic break (first ever) - I hurt a lot of people I loved, lost friends, alienated family... what a mess. Also my psychatrist retired, he gave me the diagnosis during our final session - I was living in ran isolated, rural community with few services. It was a difficult time. 

Now that I've told you a bit about me, why don't you tell me what's going on for you. If you wish to keep things private you can message me.  If you are comfortable discussing your situation this forum allows others input.  I think that others would agree that recieving the diagnosis is difficult at best. However, lots of people go on to live full, productive lives with an understanding of their condition.

Remember that behaviour can be changed, once the underlying cause is known. There is lots of information available to help you live an extraordinary life.

karin 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email details as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

hello karin, im sorry for the delayed response i havent been online! further to my previous post, i was told by my doctor today i do infact have bipolar, he put me on epilim chrono medication. this is the first time that ive had to take medication propeerly so im not really sure what to expect from it. i just thought it was normal to be the way i was as it was all ive ever known and i dont really take any motice of my health (bad i know!) but for the past few months ive been having assessments and i was as honest as could be zbout everything and this is how ive ended up with this diagnosis.

i thought i needed counselling as i was sad at the time about past events, my friends told me to see a gp and i refused, i eventually went to the gp because i felt ready to as i noticed my moods were rather extreme, the referrals and assesments came and this brings us to now. now i dont have any support or family around me to help me deal with this nd im not reallysre where to go with it as everything is a blur for me.. 

• Posted

Hi, I hope you don't mind but I wondered if you could tell me a little bit more about your symptoms?

I have been suffering with depression for about two years now. I had a few bad patches as a teenager aswel. I never saught help until recently when I developed severe anxiety and I am now at the beginning of the process of getting diagnosed properly. I have been prescribed Prozac and am awaiting a referral to a mental health expert.

My brother-in-law (who is a behavioural counsellor) is the one who told me to see my GP and discuss the possibility of seeing a psychiatrist. What he did not tell me but I overheard is that he is 'almost positive' I have bipolar disorder.

After looking into it online, I think he may be right. I am aware of the dangers of self-diagnosing and don't want to convince myself of anything. However, I also know how tricky it can be to get a right diagnosis and thanks to funding cuts for mental health where I live I think it will be a long time before I get the professional help I need. I would really like to know what I'm facing.

Thank you in advance and sorry for butting in uninvited.xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.