Do I have Bowel Cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been having on and off bleeding in the stool for 4-6 years, Where there was pain releasing stool. 

I recently had an anal examination and a fecal test, it came back positive. 

I've had two cbc blood tests, it came back normal. Had several blood tests and it all came back normal. Don't have fatigue, or massive weight loss (besides a huge change in diet and exercising frequently now). My stool is normal looking I think I don't have chronic constipation or diarrhea or any abdominal pain.

I feel awesome, I feel good and I do have frequent bowel movements 3-4 times a day. I'm not anemic so its possible I still have cancer? I'm 26 years old.

I will see a gastro doctor on july 12th, I'm anxious as heck.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would be encouraged by your test results -- I imagine your gp will send you for a colonoscopy which, I think, is the best way to find out what is going on.  -- but I'll give you my story as an example that bleeding can be benign.

I had slight bleeding (and frequency of going to the loo) for several years on and off -- had the colonoscopy -- which was fine and the consultant said it was just one of those things and they didn't know what caused the bleeding but I was OK.   Anyway, several years later of intermittent bleeding I found out I had a rectal prolapse -- which luckily is now fixed -- but that is what the bleeding was about (part of the colon pulling away a little bit).  So it wasn't cancer (which I also worried about) ---  

So there are actually lots of reasons to have blood in the stool which don't mean cancer.   Hope all goes well for you.    (PS -- don't strain on the loo -- can increase chances of prolapse)

• Posted

I also had blood in the stool, but unlike you I had anemia as well (still do actually).  I actually had two colonoscopies, the first one didn't find anything while the second one found one internal hemorrhoid.  It's a good sign that you otherwise feel fine, and it's a really good sign that you're not anemic and have normal blood tests.  I'd say to go see the gastro and ask for a colonoscopy, because even if it's negative (which I'm sure it will be) it'll at least give you a peace of mind.  And in the meantime, don't worry!  I know this is a stressful time but worrying about it won't help.  When I was going through the same thing I watched a ton of funny videos, tv shows, listened to music, etc. just things to help me relax and not think about it. 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, I recently had xrays done, they all came back normal, I've had cbc bloodtests in the span of a month and it came back normal. Just my stool looks odd, malabsorption, and smaller stools. I don't see blood in the stool anymore and rarely when I wipe. Still no pain of anykind. I see the gastro next Thursday and yeah I've been trying to keep myself busy from thinking the worst but even so, they didn't see any masses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.