Do I have BV???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've had what I thought was BV for almost two years now. The thin/sometimes thick milky white discharge, and the awful smell. The first two times I went to the doctor, I was given antibiotics without doing any testing and the antibiotics lessened the symptoms, but did not cure the problem. I recently went back because the doctors think I have PCOS and I thought to do a vaginal swab just in case, and it came back negative for both BV and yeast infection!! I'm still surprised and shocked, I was not expecting this at all. I heard about the PH paper tests you can do at home, and I got some from amazon, and the paper indicates that my PH is pretty normal. I'm so confused!! This awful smell is still here. What do I have??

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

This is exactly the same as me. I have been tested for BV and it's always negative. years ago I was told that it must be just "my natural discharge and smell". I don't believe that, as when I take antibiotics my symptoms improve/disappear. I also use balance activ gel which helps a lot until I stop using it. I recently had a smear and tests for other infections. Waiting on results.

• Posted

Hi Amelia! I will definitely go check the gel out and I'm thinking on doing some more testing because I've heard that Trich lies dormant for ages and can cause this smell as well. Has Boric Acid helped you?

• Posted

Yeah, it's better to get tested so you know what you're dealing with. I tested negative for thrush, BV and trich. I'm waiting on results for the smear and the rest. I have never tried boric acid.

I have tried:

plain yogurt dipped in tampon - did nothing and was messy

apple cider vinegar bath - reduced odor temporarily, but returned within a.few days

salt baths - seemed to help at first but then things got worse

balance activ gel - it works well whilst using it, but symptoms return when you stop.

canesbalance gel - same as above

tea tree oil suppositories - didn't work much

metronidizole antibiotics - they work and clear things until about a week or two after the course has finished

probiotics - I have probably had the most success with these. I have tried Femdophilus and Reuteri. Femdophilus did nothing for me when taken orally but they worked like a charm if inserted. They reduce odor fast so theyre perfect if you're in public and getting paranoid because pretty much a few minutes after insertion the smell goes. However, again they aren't a permanent fix and you have to keep using them. Plus they are expensive. Doctors don't recommend this either, but when you're desperate...

I have had a similar experience with using Reuteri but they didn't seem as effective.

Some people say you have to take the Femdophilus every day orally to let it build up in your system, I tried it for around 2 weeks and didn't notice any change but maybe it would if you stuck with it.

Have also tried Folic acid with Vitamin D, I had some relief with this, but I was getting headaches and then symptoms returned about a week later.

I also use non perfumed laundry detergent to wash my clothes as I think this maybe could have been a trigger. I stopped wearing underwear a few years ago, which seemed to reduce the discharge and odor a bit. I only wash with plain water, as any soap down there makes me itch and an hour after sbowering the smell will be really bad. I started using non perfumed soap for the rest of my body aswell, because the soap suds can drip down and end up there. I think all these things have helped, but have not made the problem go away.

Sorry this is so long, I thought some of these things may help you.

• Posted

I did the tests and everything came back negative, but then i started birth control for the first time less than a week ago and the smell is almost completely gone and the discharge has reduced so much! i think whatever it was that i have is defo related to a hormone imbalance which is what I'm on the birth control for. Fingers crossed this isn't temporary!

• Posted

It's funny you should mention birth control, the doctor told me that it could be what was causing my symptoms. I decided to stop taking it (I've been taking the mini pill for around 6 years) it will be one week tomorrow since stopping. I really don't want to jinx it, but so far, it seems to get better daily. At the moment, no odor. I've actually had mild symptoms of thrush today, which I don't mind, it's kind of a break from the other one! I researched it online and it says that birth control has an effect on Ph. So it's very possible that it has cleared your issues, and stopping mine has done the same. I never thought of this before, mainly because my problems started long before I started taking the pill. However, I wasn't doing things right back then (washing with soap etc)

I really hope we have beaten this!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.