Do I have Chiari

Posted , 2 users are following.

I received my MRA report before my appointment and I’m wondering if these results are positive for Chiari. I’m having a hard time deciphering the results. Is this what the MRI shows when testing positive positive for Chiari. I have a follow up with my neurologist next week. Just wanted to some insight. My report reads:

Cerebellar tonsillar ectopia with mild effacement of the basilar cisterns at the level of foramen magnum as detailed above. There is mild cerebellar tonsillar ectopia. The RIGHT tonsil is located below the level of foramen magnum more so than the LEFT. It extends approximately 8 mm below the level of 

foramen magnum. This does cause effacement of the basilar cisterns posterior to the cord. There is narrowing of the basilar cisterns anterior to the cervical medullary junction. Cine imaging does show CSF pulsation anteriorly being preserved.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Did you have a mri or mra. I thought mra was more to look at blood vessels. Yes tonsil ectopia is another word for chiari depending how far down your tonsil goes. Mine is 8-9 mm below forum magnum and is considered chiari. I also see you had a cine mri? Do you have symptoms?
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I had a MRA but I have a MRI scheduled tonight. I have been having debilitating headaches for years but recently the dizziness has been almost unbearable which is how I ended up with the Scans. I know I just need to wait to discuss it with my physician but having the results beforehand is enough to drive you crazy!! How have you been managing your symptoms? Have you opted for surgery?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.