Do I have chronic prostatitis?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi. I am 36. 

Around April this year, I had three episodes of gross hematuria. Scared, I went to a nephrologist & then another urologist. They conducted a number of tests on me including urinalysis, urine culture, X-ray and USG of KUB, phase contrast microscopy, lever and kidney function tests and a range of other blood tests. Almost everything came normal and the phase contrast microscopy found that the blood was coming from lower urinary tract. The doctors did not find any stones, lesions or tumors during the USG.

One morning in August, I passed a nearly 2mm stone through my urine. The urologist says I do not need to be scared anymore.

Now ever since then, I have been facing a number of issues:

1) Ever since, right after the hematuria episodes, at times, when I strain to pass a stool, drops of whitish semen-like substance comes out of my penis. In order to tackle this situation, I stopped straining at least a week back and it had nearly stopped. But over the past two weeks, I have noticed on one occasion, a small jelly-like transparent substance come out after I finish peeing. It usually sticks to the bowl and when I drop water on it, it rolls off into the water and sinks. Is this something to worry about?

FYI: My wife is pregnant. And I haven’t had sex or masturbated since September this year.

2) Often when I am sitting down, I feel a slight burning sensation near the head of my penis. 

3) Often I do feel some pain during ejaculation but not always.

Now I do not have extreme pain in my pelvic area, near the base of my penis or near my rectum. There is no fever or chills.

Also, my urinary urgency is nowhere close to when I had the stone. I now visit the bathroom at a 3-4 hour interval.

I have recently visited an urologist who without listening to me properly told me that I may have chronic prostatitis.  He gave me a bunch of tests again includign USG of KUB-PVR (60 ml pvr), Uroflowmetry, Urine profile and Uric acid (within range). Without even waiting for the results, he prescribed me three medicines including Finasteride 5mg, Flupentixol 0.5mg and Ofloxacin 200mg.

I waited for the tests. The urine profile did not have any RBC, WBC or anything else. Just 2-3 epithelial cells HPF and 0-1 pus cells.

Uric acid was within range.

Just to be safe, I also did a PSA test which came to 0.42 ng/ml, BUN and creatinine (1 ng/ml) . I have read in two different websites that prostatitis would usually yank up PSA level to over 1 ng/ml.

Uroflowmetry had an average flow of 29 ml/sec.

As the levels seemed okay, I went to a second urologist. He saw the prescription by the first guy, cancelled the three medicines the former doctor had prescribed and instead gave me Doxycycline 200mg, Suliandac and Bactrim. As I had an allergic reaction to Bactrim, I am now only on Doxycycline and Sulindac.

So, here is my question: Do you think this is chronic prostatitis?

Your answers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello everyone,

So, I went to the third Uro a week or so back. He heard my symptoms and told me right away that it does not sound like prostatitis. Gave me another horde of tests: USG- KUB PVR, Uric Acid serum, Calcium serum and urinalysis.

I did the tests. This time around, there was no PVR. The lady doing the USG told me that since we drink a lot of water, we tend to produce urine that deposits in the bladder in just a matter of 10 to 15 minutes. This provides false PVR if there is another patient in the USG. That was the delay which had occurred the earlier time when they found 60 ml pvr in my bladder. I waited for 15 minutes before I got my turn again. This lady explained that the PVR should be measured immediatley after clearing the bowels. 

So there was no other significant findings. Uric acid and calcium (10.2) was within range.

The urinalysis found no blood, 3-4 epithelial cells and 0-1 pus cells.

Went to the doctor again and he told me that the discomfort that I occassionally feel is possibly like an aftereffect of the stone passing. He adviced me to jerk off as "there may be some congestion due to fluid buildup".

Now, from the day I began going to this doctor, I noticed that my whitish discharge while passing a hard stool has disappeared. I passed a lot of stool this morning and was dreading the discharge is possibly going to show up. Fortunately nothing of that sort!

Also, there was no discomfort in my penil region for the past one week. I felt a little sensation this morning. But still this is negligible.

I am still taking the Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg twice a day. I am on the 18th day now, 12 more days to go.

I still do not know whether this uro is right or the last one was right!

• Posted

Sounds like your making headway with your problem. I wish you the best. I feel bad for you young guys that go through this crap.
    • Posted

Fester, I have the utmost respect for everyone who has prostatitis and BPH. The way you all brave the pain to go about life is truly commendable.

You all remind me of my late father-in-law who had BPH. He lived with it without telling too many people about it. I found out one day when his uro asked him whether he is ready to remove the prostate and he said no. Earlier, he had also suffered from Hodgkin's lymphoma cancer. While taking chemotherapy, he had gone into a coma. The doctor's had given up on him. There was a five percent chance of weaning him from the life support & him surviving. But he came out of it and went on to live for another eight years. But the chemotherapy had affected one of his lungs and that was how he eventually passed away due to ILD.

I still don't understand why so many medical researchers have not come up with a permanent remedy for prostatitis and BPH.

I can only pray that they will soon.

• Posted

[color=#3a2e28]Distressed: "I still do not know whether this uro is right or the last one was right!"

--------------------

At this point it almost doesn't matter. Protatitis is not the easiest to diagnose especially if the condition/inflammation is mild so it's not that one doc is right and one is wrong. You've had a whole bunch of tests, you're finishing up your course of antibiotics and your symptons are better. All good news. Your doc's explanation of your discomfort (prev passage of stones) is as good as any. So time to start to enjoy life and stop worrying! That said, if the symptons do return or worsen, deal with it then. 

BTW the ultrasound nurse was right about the false PVR. I just wonder how many docs are aware of that when they read the report or even if the report notes "this PVR may be falsely elevated due to the fact that the scan was taken more than ______minutes after the patient voided". The other thing the nurse didn't say, and probably doesn't know, is that if a patient already has a compromised bladder from BPH, the PVR will potentially be even more elevated because of the agressive fluid loading prior to the ultrasound which challenges a bladder more than during a normal day. Fortunately you don't have to deal with any of that because your bladder performed very well.

Jim[/color]

• Posted

Distressed, I'm kind of lucky, I'm 59 so surgery on the prostate leaving me with RE may not be desireable but at least I don't have the thoughts of trying to have children. As long as I still have sexual function I'll be happy. Oh and no more bleeding. Nothing like passing large clots cry

• Posted

Thanks Jim. That is how I am looking at the situation myself.

Hope the symptoms will never return

• Posted

They have yet to find a cure or a vaccine against the common cold. A report this week did say that anothr vaccine that worked on mice is now being trialled on humans.
  • Posted

Hi guys,

So I have been a lot better. The mild burning sensations in my urethra has passed. And after my third urologist told me that I may have vasocongestion in my testicles due to not releasing the fluid, I have jacked off on four day intervals.

Now a new concern is that my ejaculate has been yellowish. The first time, it was like really yellow and was not shooting out.

It seems to have thinned out in the latter instances, but still yellowish. Also the pee right after ejaculating comes out yellow. But when I pee again like half an hour or even later, the urine becomes clear

I finished taking the Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg dosage twice a day for a month, just a day back.

Do you think the Doxycycline may have caused this? I remember reading someone who went through this exact issue after Doxycycline in this forum. But can't find it now.

Derek76, Jimjames and Uncklefester: would love your feedback on this

• Posted

If you don't have any other symptons, I wouldn't worry about discolored semen from time to time.

Jim

• Posted

Hi, 

So I dont know whether this can be called an update.

I have not had any more issues over the past few months. Except for urine becoming golden or yellow when I dont drink for two to three hours or when I hold on to my pee for more than three hours.

But a few days back, I had just gone into pee. I did not do anything else. It was the toilet in my home. I peed first. And then, like I usually do, walked around a little and then sat back. This is around when I detected this very tiny black thing that seemed like small curled-up hair. It was not in the water of the commode but right outside it.

I dropped water on it, and I hope I wasnt hallucinating, it seemed to uncurl and then tried to wriggle. It was very tiny and black. Seemed like a leech or something. I dropped water on it and it fell into the rest of the water.

Ever since then I have been anxious again. I immediately tried to find the urologist I went to recently. He is on vacation. So I went to someone else in the same hospital. He acted like there is nothing to worry about and asked me to do a Urine RME and ultrasonogram.

My question to you guys, : Do you think this was a worm that passed through my urine? Or could be some bathroom or anal worm?

Secondly, I have been reading up 'worms in urine'. The one I came across was schistosomiasis S Haemabotium. But that one cannot be seen with the naked eye. Also, appparently those are not black. Any insights on this?

Third, I am in a tropical country of South Asia. I have not been to Africa or Middle Eastern countries ever. Just been to Qatar once back in 2011. But did not do any swimming there. So do you guys think this could be a worm?

I am waiting for my usual urologist to get back. 

Would really like your insights, Uncklefester, Jimjames and Derek. As usual, I am really freaked out. I havent seen any worms since then though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.