Do I Have Diabetes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys,

For the last two days or so I've been feeling fairly fatigued, dizzy and had some tingling in my fingers (although it may be my imagination). I've not really had any form of excessive urination however when I do need to urinate I just suddenly get a full bladder feeling, no build up. The main symptom is fatigue, that seems to be the overpowering factor.

I've been worried as some of these symptoms belong to diabetes type 2, so I had a blood test done on a glucose meter (although not the best diagnostic, I just wanted a general idea). Around 3-4 hours after my last meal my blood glucose was around 4.9 to 5.1 mmol/L.

Currently I'm a 17 year old male, 180cm tall and around 115kg, I do not have a lot of body fat, a lot of that weight is muscle. I do not have a great diet in terms of getting enough nutrients and I do not drink enough water.

So what do you guys think? I've left going to the doctors as a last resort. These symptoms have suddenly started to happen one morning with no build up, anything to worry about or should I get further tests done with a doctor to make sure.

Many Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi brendon43051,

No, sir, you do not have diabetes ... at least not based on what you've written here.

Your blood glucose levels are well within the 'normal' range, and the tingling in your fingers would only result, in a diabetic, several years after they'd already been diagnosed.  (This could occur due to what's called diabetic neuropathy ... nerve-ending damage which occurs due to chronic high blood glucose levels. i.e. if they'd had poorly controlled diabetes for several years.)

I'm afraid, sir, that your weight MAY be of some concern, even though you say that it's mainly muscle.

It still might be worth your while seeing your doctor to find out what's causing your fatigue and dizziness.  It's a POSSIBILITY that you're not drinking enough, or that you MAY be suffering from iron-deficiency anaemia.

• Posted

Hi, I agree with Mick! Your weight seems to be quite low especially since muscle weighs more than fat!

Drinking 8 + glasses of water daily is a must! Your diet is so important as you are still growing and sounds like your body is screaming for nutrients!

I agree, go see the Dr., he probably will do a proper work up on you and if he suggests seeing a dietician etc. then I'd suggest go for it a little bit of extra knowledge never hurt anyone!

Are you watching closely what you eat, worrying about your body size or writing down what you are eating? What do you honestly see when you look at yourself in the mirror? I was just wondering if you were anorexic, it does affect males too! That's probably way off but it's just a crazy thought.

Anyway, you and your Dr need to check you out, ask your questions and answer theirs fully. Good luck, please keep us up to date! Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I did some more extensive tests yesterday, after exercise my blood sugar dropped to around 4.1mmol/L. Then slowly went up to around 6.3 and then back down to around 5.6 in the space of around two hours (I ate before exercise).

I've got a GP appointment booked in today for around 5:20. I'll make sure to keep you updated smile.

Many Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.