Do I have diabetes? if so what do I do about it?

Posted , 4 users are following.

back in february I had my sugar level checked by my dr she said it was 100, from 70-99 that was with a 24 hour fast. I ordered a kit and some strips,  I just got them in the mail last night. I checked my sugar level and it was 149, granted I did just eat 3 hours before and just finished drinking a cup and half of soda. Mind you I drink soda once a week the rest the time it is water only. I decided I will check my sugar level after 8 plus hours of fasting, so I ate dinner about 930 pm, so from 10pm to 830 am I had nothing to eat or drink and checked my blood sugar level 3 times, it registered as 101. at 430 am I checked it out of curiosity and it was a 106. 

So my question is, am I prediabetic? my dr said I wasn't and said it was fine when she checked it back in february and it was 100 with a 24 hour fast. so I dunno what to believe, everything I see online says I am prediabetic but the dr said I wasn't but the levels I get back show I am, so what do I believe and what can I do to lower my diabetes? I don't eat sugary stuff, I stay away from junk food, once a month I will get fast food and once a week a 20oz soda, the rest the time I am eating oatmeal no sugar, hotdogs with wheat bread no mustard or mayo or anything, eggs scrambled in the microwave no butter, ground beef, chicken, pork chops the chicken and pork chops baked in the oven with no seasonings, and boiled veggies. And when I run out of food, I eat top ramen so I can take my meds when I run out of money and food. but yet I am showing signs of prediabetic? Idk what to do. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You're bumping up to the entry point of pre-diabetic.

There's three big steps to take, and you've already taken one - you got the meter!  Now you can see what's going on.  That can be half the battle!

The second step is to learn how to count carbs, read the "carbohydrates" entry on all your packaged foods, learn what the carb counts are for fruit and veggies (basically zero for most meats and cheeses).  Keep each meal below about 75 and each day below 200 and you will be better off, this will help keep the disease from progressing.

The third step is exercise.  Diabetes is as much about "insulin resistance" as it is about diet, your body just stops properly responding to its own insulin.  Exercise reverses this.  IMMEDIATELY!  If you walk for 30 minutes once a day, your readings will go down five to ten points.  Make it twice a day for a few more points.  Diabetes responds best so mild, prolonged exercise like that.  Too much exercise and your body responds by *raising* your BG level temporarily!  So, get out and walk.

You're doing OK already, add these other two steps and you may be fine for the rest of your life with nothing more.

• Posted

I was diagnosed as diabetic in 2015.  And ever since I have tried many different methods to get back on track.  I found that nutrition is key.  If your body has what it needs, it will heal itself.  Juicing organic veggies is on top of the list.  If you don't have time then use a blender.  Make a batch every morning and drink some with every meal.  Also, supplements help alot.  I take a multiple mineral, multi B vitamin, magnesium, vit D daily for 30 days then 1 per week, 1 vit A per week.  Don't overdose, it can be hard on the kidneys. 

But the most helpful thing is to fast 3 hours between meals.  Don't eat all the time like some people suggest.  You need to re-train you body to know what normal blood sugar levels are.  When you fast for 3 hours you can test your glucose level and you will start seeing lower and lower levels.  Don't be alarmed if you see some 80's. 

Unfortunately many people are causing diabetes by eating all the time.  snacks like potato chips, ice cream, french fries, can keep glucose up high for 5 hours.  So the body forgets what is normal.  This also causes the pancreas to release insulin and bathe the cells in insulin all the time.  Eventually the cells shut the door on the insulin.  This is called insulin resistance.  The body can also respond to too much insulin by killing off pancreatic beta cells.  That will eventually lead to type 1 diabetes.  Fasting between meals allows the insulin to be fully absorbed and cleared out. 

Doctors tend to let people do their thing until they are full blown diabetic then get them into the system and on regular visits and meds.  They make their money that way. 

Let me know what you think.  John

• Posted

There are different ways of testing your blood sugar which I do not completely understand because it gives you a totally different reading.

When I was diagnosed 2 years ago I think dr said my reading was 87.

Now when I test myself it is supposed to be between 4 and 7.  I am usually a little on the high side 9.3 this morning before I had breakfast.

It is not just a question of what you eat but when you eat it.

Do not skip meals.

Watch your carbs.

Sarah

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.