Do I Have emphysema Doctor not help full

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all

New here.  Can someone please help me interprete my PFT results.  The doctor said that my dlco is low and not to worry about it.  Not very helpful with telling about the rest of the test.  Do I have emphysema.

PFT results are as follows:

Spiromentry.        Pred.       Obs.       %Pred

FEV1.                  3.74.         3.93.       104.9

FVC.                    4.73.         5.28.       111.6

FEV1%F.             79.3.         74.41.      93.8

MFEF.                  3.45.         2.70.        78.3

PEF.                     8.68.        12.14.       139.8

Lung Volume

TLC.                    6.82.          7.34.         107.6

VC.                      4.56.          5.33.         116.7

FRCpl.                 3.43.          4.21.         122.7

IC.                        3.28.          3.13.         95.5

ERV.                    1.28.           2.19.         171.0

RV.                       2.15.          2.02.          93.8

RV%TLC.             33.46.       27.47.         82.1

sRaw.                   12.00.        9.79.          82.6

Diffusion

DLCO_SB.           29.86.      22.84.           76.5

DLCOcSB.           29.86.      22.84.           76.5

VA_SB.                6.67.        7.02.             105.3

KCO_SB.             4.38.        3.25.             74.3

KCOc_SB.           4.38.        3.25.             74.3

VIN_SB.               4.56.        5.14.            112.6.

Someones help would be greatly appreciated.

I am a 50 year old male smoked for 35 years.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure if it was the first measure of fev 1 at 3.74 I would say yes you have got Emphysema, but there is another fev measure in the 70s so I dont know now.
  • Posted

None of us are doctors on this forum and therefore can't give medical advice.

Ask your doctor for an explanation, insist on it.  Good luck. 

• Posted

No idea what that means, but still impressed by the range of information you get from your doctors about your bodily variables in relation to COPD. I was diagnosed with COPD nearly a decade ago, but all I get is an annual spirometry test, occasional info about oxygen levels and blood pressure, and a chest x-ray when I cough up blood. Maybe I need another doctor...
  • Posted

With results that high and 35 years smoking you are doing great ! I am no doctor but I would not suspect anything ! But if I were you I would stop smoking !
    • Posted

Thank you very much for your reply. Take care of your self and God Bless
  • Posted

If you smoke, please quit asap, since your PFT scores are good for someone who has smoked for 35 years. If you could quit smoking, your progression of this disease will be slow, and you would never have to suffer any of the more serious symptoms that other's suffer who have progressed to the later stages of this disease.

Smoking will progress copd more 'faster' than someone who doesn't smoke. This is it's main thing, since it is causing more damage to the lungs on an everyday basis, whereas, if quitting, it can cease this on going damage, or slow it way down. 

There are four stages: mild, medium, severe, and very severe. You are probably at the first stage, mild, however, if you keep smoking, you could possibly progress to the very last stage and at a fast rate. As the stages progress, the disease's symptom's become very serious. The breathing become's more difficult, like breathing through a straw, and many can't walk far, due to lack of oxygen, and the heart beat beating too fast, making them have no choice but to sit down before walking another ten feet. They also can suffer having to wear oxygen 24/7, and using a wheel chair when going shopping, etc. Just to name a few serious symptom's in later stages. ect......

I hope this doesn't happen, so please quit smoking! 

Brenda xo

With quitting smoking, medication, good exercise and diet, regular doctor visits, or just taking care of yourself, and you could do wonder's, possibly making the stages accellerate alowly to a more serious stage, if it moves to a more serious stage at all. I have heard of other people telling about how they never accellerated, and have stayed in the same stage, and have had copd for many years. But, they quit smoking, as the main reason, as they said. They gave quitting smoking much of the credit. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.