Do I have ETD, my 3 Tympanometry Results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

I developed Tinnitus on my left ear in January 2016. 

One doctor said I had a lot of wax on my left ear and removed it. She also said I had water and prescribed Flonase. My ringing wasn't so bad until I took the Flonase, it made my ear ring more intense within a minute of breathing it in.

Anyhow, I've seen (4) ENT's, (2) audiologists and (1) Tinnitus "expert"

All (4) ENT's said my Tinnitus was noise induced.

Both audiologists said my hearing was within normal range and believed my Tinnitus would go away.

The Tinnitus "expert" said it didn't matter why I had Tinnitus, I had it and now I need to learn to live with it.

I also got tested for allergies and I'm allergic to 44 things out of the 90 they tested for. So, I pretty much have year round allergies.

Within the first couple of months of developing my Tinnitus, I started taking Flonase, Claritin, Claritin D, Zyrtec-D until I stopped as I felt it was giving me insomnia.

Also, last year, I started noticing that my left ear started crackling, popping, etc each time I swallowed or yawned. My left ear would also clogg and my hearing was dull. I would get a knot in my throat too, only on my left side. My nose is congested almost all day. Sometimes when I cover my nostril and blow in, a few seconds later, my ear squeaks. Somedays its very bad, somedays it's not. Sometimes, when its bad, I noticed my tinnitus is louder. When it's not so bad, my tinnitus is quieter, for the most part. 

I was hoping that my tinnitus is caused by ETD, but most likely its' not.

Still, can anyone, by looking at my tympanomety results, opine that I do have ETD, at least mild? And if so, enough to cause my tinnitus?

Tympanometry, 2/4/16

RIGHT EAR

Peak Pressure = -20 mmH2O

Ear Canal Volume = 1.4 cc

Static Compliance - 0.1 cc

Peak Height = 0.1 cc

Gradient = 57 mmH2O

LEFT EAR

Peak Pressure = -38 mmH2O

Ear Canal Volume = 1.4 cc

Static Compliance - 0.1 cc

Peak Height = 0.1 cc

Gradient = 66 mmH2O

*Note: air/bone gap .5K HZ - 1K Hz

Tympanometry, 4/13/16

RIGHT EAR

Equivalent Volume = 1.52 cm3

Peak Pressure = -17 daPA

Static Admittance = 1.53 mmhos

LEFT EAR

Equivalent Volume = 1.29 cm3

Peak Pressure = -29 daPA

Static Admittance = 1.24 mmhos

Tympanometry, 4/10/17

RIGHT EAR

Peak Pressure = -15

LEFT EAR

Peak Pressure = -50

So the pressure on my left ear has tested -38, -29 and -50.

Thank you in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I would also like to add, during an MRA, it came back normal, it did say they noted a small amount of fluid in the left mastoid air cells. What could that mean?
  • Posted

Unfortunately allergies are the number one reason for ETD. Try to isolate the causes of your allergies and illuminate them one by one. I've been suffering with allergies since I was a teenager and living in Las Vegas hasn't helped. You'll be surprised how many things in your diet can be harmful too: removing caffeine and alcohol helped me a lot.

• Posted

I can start getting allergy shots, its a 5 year treatment. Recommended?
  • Posted

Morning, you sound exactly like me.  I suffer too, all of the same.  If your ear is squeaking, it sounds as though you have mucus behind the ear drum.  Last Tuesday I had my twice yearly appointment to see my ENT consultant and he found yet another pin prick of a perforation on my left eardrum.  He suctioned all the mucus out and it felt brilliant until this morning, just woken up to the blocked feeling yet again.  Mine is 100% due to sinus issues and congestion that manages to work it's way to the back of eardrum through eustachian tube (glue ear - dysfunctioanl eustachian tubes) I was very blocked up during the night and blowing a lot, so obviously has blocked the ear back up again. Tinnitus came on me completely out of the blue forty years ago, mainly in the left ear and certainly have had to learn to live with it.  I'm unable to taste and smell as well, which again is down to congestion and allergies.  Feel so disappointed this morning waking up to this again.  I've had microsuction on my left ear approximately seven times now.  Because I keep trying to pop it myself, the hole obviously isn't healing over and isn't big enough for the mucus to drain out...so frustrating !!!  I was prescribed a reducing method of the steriod tablets Prednisolone last week and didn't want to have to result to taking them, however, it looks as though I will now have to.  One upside to taking them, is, within a few days they will have taken all the inflammation away, dried up all the mucus, my sense of smell and taste will return and I will feel great again.  Down-side as soon as I start to take them I'll be unable to sleep and I mean unable all night long....this is what puts me off taking them.  As soon as I've finished them, normal sleep pattern will resume.  However, after a few months everything builds back up again and I'm back to square one.  So very frustrating.

Do you suffer from making a lot of mucus due to your allergies? I do and sinus issues too.  Most allergic rhinutis suffers also have polyps up their noses too.  I was informed last week that I had 2 at grade 2 up right side of nose and 1 up the left.  Those were operated on years ago to remove while having sinus surgery, but they grow back.  The Prednisolone tablets will shrink them to very tiny and the Flixonse keeps them at bay once the tablets have been finished.  Can't use the Flixonase whilst on the Prednisolone.

Sorry message so long, but you're not alone.

Kind regards

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne05078,

Thank you for your response. I do make a lot of mucus due to my allergies. I also have a mild deviated septum. Not sure how that takes into play. I had a sinus scan last year and it came back clear, it just showed an infection in a tooth that was creeping into one of the sinuses. That since has been fixed.

I think I want to see another ENT, the first three I saw were strictly for my tinnitus, this fourth I went to see just because of my ETD syptoms but we ended up talking about tinnitus for an hour. He didn't check anything, he was leaving when I had to pull him back in, he hadn't addressed the issues I had gone to see him for. He didn't even look into my ears or throat or nose. He just had his assistance to the Tympanometry test.

My personal doctor mentioned he thought I had enlarged adenoids. Would that play a part in my syptoms as well?

• Posted

I can't believe some of these doctors, that was dreadful.  For me I cope better with my tinnitus, than the blcoked ears....they drive me mad !!  I've just this minute used the stronger Flixonase Nasules to try and un-block my left ear.  These ones I have to lean my head right back over the bed and insert the correct amount, then the other side.  Really trying hard not to have to use Prednisolone steroid tablets.....they're are only for a month, but a month not sleeping is rough !! Try and get another referral to a different ENT consultant at your hospital, mine is brilliant and looks after me so well.  Microsuctions mucus out when I can no longer stand it.  Not too sure about adenoids causing ETD issues.  Google it and have a read.  I think I will too.  There really is no answer to this problems they so many suffer from.  Allergies are so hard to avoid which are outside, short of wearing a mask across our faces, like they do in China.  I hope you can get yourself sorted.  What medication are you on.  I've just taken a citrizine antihistamine too.

Anne

• Posted

I had been taking Claritin for the past 4 months until I started feeling weird, tired, lethargic, bad sleep etc. I thought it might be the Claritin so I stopped taking it. A couple of days after, I started feeling normal again. That lasted for a week, now the past couple of days I'm back to feeling foggy brained. So that wasn't it.

I take 10mg Ambien to sleep and 0.5 mg Clonazepam in the morning. I also take Vitamin B12 and Vitamind D3.

• Posted

Hello,  Try Citrizine, as some of these antihistamines can have that affect.  I was taking Benadryl for years and years, until I found out that after the age of 64 it shouldn't be used.  It's one of the old generation antihistamines.  When I take mine I usually get a good nights sleep.  I too take a good Multivitamin, 100mg Omega 3 and Vit D.  Because I lost the sight in my left eye due to bacterial meningitis I also take an eye health tablet too......we will all start to rattle haha !!

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.