Do I have fibromyalgia?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had many of the symptoms shown for fibromyalgia and they seem to flare up for a week or two and then totally disappear for months and months. This has been going on for more than 10 years. Pain in my neck and shoulders and moving down my arms - alternating sides. Lower back pain. Jaw ache and facial pain. A flu-like feeling that never develops into flu. Sleep difficulties. Exhaustion where I feel I can hardly put one foot in front of another. I do seem to have pain at some of the suggested pressure points, but not all.

I am normally quite healthy. I eat healthily and exercise, swim and walk. I work full time.

I'm 57 and in menopause and I have suffered from anxiety and depression for the past 20 years - not constantly. I've received treatment for this successfully.

The past year I have been under extreme stress, so much so that I've hardly noticed whether I am ill or not but have definitely suffered a lot of anxiety and depression. Recently, as things begin to calm down I have started to feel quite unwell with most of the above symptoms again but this time they are all more intense,

Since I've experienced all of this before to some degree I'm hesitant about seeing the doctor. There will be all the blood tests again which never show anything.

Does it sound like I might have Fibromyalgia?

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi all

Becky - try lowering your stress levels etc but if it doesnt make much difference I would ask for a referral to a rheumatologist your GP cannot say know if you have relevant symptoms which he cannot treat. Some GPs are very good at referring on automatically and others need a bit of a push!

JK yes the water needs to be warm! Ive been able to increase my walking a lot by doing regularly so go girl! and I do live in a beautiful place, we recently moved here and I feel very lucky, Im just waiting for my health to improve as a result of leaving London!!!

• Posted

PS Becky dont feel sorry for your GP its his job to help you! I was fobbed off by my previous GPs for four years and thankfully my new GP has paid attention to me and we are still working things out! AS JK says you could try the alternative route but I think a rheumatologist would be a good place to start and you can go the natural route once you have a better idea what it is. You owe it to yourself to find out. Look after yourself Becky! Best V
  • Posted

Hi Becky

Good to hear you have some results - slightly puzzled about your inflammation markers since I thought that Fibro doesn't show any? Certainly my bloods didn't show anything.

As V says, stress levels provoke it. I'm sure that's a factor I have to do something about.

Hi JerseyKaz, good to hear from you. Thanks for your tips. Re Mindfulness. There is a good book called 'Mindfulness - Finding Peace in a Frantic World' by Mark Williams and Danny Penman which is worth reading. Tips on breathing exercises and meditation.

I have had another afternoon of headache and higher tinnitus. Just sticking it out to see if its a side effect situation which will reduce. Had one week of the increased dose of Amit so want to give it a chance if possible.

take care everyone

Chris

• Posted

Oh Chris that's tough. Do keep us informed how u get on with amiT. Should help headaches as often prescribed for them. Take good care. V
  • Posted

Hey Chris,

Are the headaches tension ones? I have just had a few days of those. Sometimes, a good neck, back and shoulder deep tissue massage helps to relieve the tension. Tense muscles have a tendency to work their way up and have a knock-on effect and so if you de-stress the lower muscles ie.back and neck, it will help reduce the tension in the higher neck and head. Tension and tender points are often around the back of the neck. Ibuprofen (brufen) can help to reduce inflammation but take it after you've eaten something. Good luck with the Amit.

I hope you're feeling better soon cheesygrin JK

• Posted

Just to add to jk's post. Before I moved to the country I used to have a deep tissue massage every month. I helped a great deal with the fibro and used to keep it a bit more controlled over time. Worth finding a good therapist. V
  • Posted

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the helpful comments. Yes they are tension headaches and you are quite right - they start in the back of the neck. At this stage I am not sure whether is is the fibro or Amit because although I have had fibro for 6 months or more (now that I look back), the headaches have only started in the last couple of weeks. At that point I had been on amit for 10 days.

Seems to be worst late afternoon and fades away in the evening particularly after the next amit dose.

Thanks V for your suggestion - I will look into therapy.

Hope everyone has had a reasonable day.

Chris

• Posted

Hi I'm at my wits end as I've had all the symptoms described on this discussion for 3 years but the doctor's keep saying it's nothing. I went back today and he's refered me to someone else as he can't get me an MIR scan but they can. I've been to osteopath, physio, accupuncture and allsorts but long term nothing's helped.

I'd never even heard of Fibromyalgia but stumbled on here and it describes all of my symptoms.

• Posted

Hi Joe!!!! Please go and see a rhumetologist. Tell the rhumetologist all of your symptoms and ask him or her to prescribe you Amitriptyline or Flexeril and Neurontin. I also take Hydrocodone for pain. It is a narcotic though so the rhumetologist may not prescribe it. These are all inexpensive medications.

Also, when the weather changes at all it makes fibromyalgia worse. As does stress, not getting enough sleep. Also it runs in families.

Find a good doctor, NP, or any good health care providers who help you and can help you with your fibromyalgia and who will prescribe you what you need.

There are no tests to diagnose fibromyalgia. Have they done the pressure points test? A pet scan would show you have pain. They maybe expensive though.

I hope you start to feel better soon.

Please keep me posted. Take care.

Sincerely,

Michelle

• Posted

Hi Becky!!! I think you do have fibromyalgia. I am 40 years old and I have had it for 3 or 4 years now. Any changes in weather make fibromyalgia worse. Also, if I don't get enough sleep it makes the fibromyalgia pain much worse.

Please ask your doctor to put you on Amitriptyline and see how you do with it. I can't take it because it makes my heart race. I take Neurontin, Flexeril, and Hydrocodone for my pain with it. They all really help me. They are all very inexpensive medications too. I especially recommend Flexeril (a muscle relaxer) for people who can't take Amitriptyline. It works similar to Amitriptyline.

Right now the weather is cooler so I am definitely feeling like I have the flu when I am pretty sure it is fibromyalgia. I am getting a flu shot though as soon as I can because it is time for the flu shot again.

When you go to see your doctor again please tell him to prescribe these medications as they all really help with fibromyalgia. If he doesn't listen or take you seriously please find another doctor. I see a NP and she is wonderful!!! Also see a rheumatologist too. He put me on Flexeril and it really helps.

Oh and ask him if he has samples of Savella. It is an anti-depressant and it is used to treat fibromyalgia. This medication he should have no problem giving you. Actually, he should have no problem prescribing any of these medications except for Hydrocodone as it is a narcotic.

And your ex husband should be ashamed of himself saying it was all in your head!!!! My husband has fibromyalgia and pain issues like me so he understands completely what I am going through. I highly recommend a man who understands your fibromyalgia. Oh and anxiety and depression are symptoms of fibromyalgia. Also, fibromyalgia runs in families. My mom has fibromyalgia too.

I hope this information helps you. Believe me we all understand what you are going through.

Please take care.

Sincerely,

Michelle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.