Do I have generalised anxiety disorder or another type?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ever since I was about ten years old I have always been worried and scared about things, anything and things that other people may see as stupid. I get worried about getting the bus, I get worried about going to the doctors, phoning up places for appointments or orders etc. For example before I go in to see a doctor I have to go over what I'm going to say to them about 20 times or more in my head and as I enter the room I have palpitations and a pain running down my arm into my fingers. This literally happens every time I visit the doctors (which is literally every other week). Other symptoms I have are feeling sick, as in stomach cramps which usually end in having to go to the toilet to get some relief but it comes back straight after until the anxiety feeling or whatever I'm worried about or nervous about eases. I worry about meeting new people, I get the same symptoms when that happens and I usually try to avoid it as best I can. An example of this is that I was with my boyfriend and he wanted me to meet his friends, on the way over to them I felt incredibly sick and my heart was hammering out my chest (this happens with any new person I meet) once I'm with them and get used to them I'm fine. I also get very worried about my health and always think I have some terrible life threatening condition. It's hard dealing with whatever this is be whose no one in my family or friends understands why I get these symptoms, when I say I don't want to phone up the Chinese takeaway because I get nervous and scared people think I'm being stupid when its much more than that. I went to the doctors once and explained this but they wasn't much help and kind of fobbed me off when I mentioned thinking it wee anxiety. I really want some help because I'm fed up of living like this all the time and dealing with this sick feeling and palpitations as well as the tingling/pain whatever it is down my arm and finger. So I was wondering if this happens with anyone else and if it is GAD I'm suffering from or another kind of anxiety. And also where do I go from here in terms of help? Do I need a psychiatrist or pills or CBT?

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

  • Posted

    I forgot to write that I also avoid going out with new people, id just stay at home and not want to go out with my boyfriend and his friends and I'm worried he'll get fed up of me and not understand

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Sounds like some anxiety with a phobia. There is this book I got when my anxiety was really bad called "the big book of anxiety and phobias" it helped me alot

      They explain alot of different types and also exercises to try and get over some of those fears.

      When I first got anxiety those are all the same symptoms I had, sweating, palpitations, tingling, tired, just scared of everything. I am now taking zoloft which has changed my life alot. I still get anxiety here and there but am able to have control over it. If you have had test done you just have to let yourself know that it can't hurt you and it will pass

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Honestly, it may not pass.

      I have suffered with this all my life and am finding it is getting worse.

      I am almost 50 and am becoming more of a recluse each day.

      I speak to no-one unless absolutely necessary.

      I go nowhere unless absolutely necessary.

      I check the mail late at night.

      I weed the gardens as required late at night.

      I hang out the washing late at night, but mostly i use an indoor clothes horse.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    You should write it all down in a piece a paper and go see your doctor and she what the doctors feels is best. Your doctor can assess you better then anyone on here. The reason you write it all down is so you dont have to say much and wont  forget to say stuff. It deletes the nerve part. A psychiatrist is a dr, who perscribed medicine, you might be best off seeing a psychologist they do talk therapy and are quite familiar with all this. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Its like looking at me shaena I have had this for years on and off the last bout being the worst my doctor says its part of my personality so yes for me i will have it all of my life but....... im on a/ds and beta blockers to help and I see a CBT therapist she has been so good as it was suggested in another post write down your feelings and fears and if the doctor doesnt listen the first time go back until they do. You can actually refer yourself for Cbt they will go through a questionnaire with you   asking questions then they will put you in touch with a CBT therapist there may be a little wait to see them but i was lucky i only had to wait a month it has certainly helped me. if your doctor still refuses to listen and help you with meds you CBT therapist maybe able to suggest it to them. it sounds like GAD. dont give up until you get the help you need my love as you know its not a nice place to be when you go through this and you dont have to suffer. this site is excellent for support and advice and its from people who are going through the same thing so in affect they are the expert in this field good luck hun and keep in touch  
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    This sounds like Social Anxiety Disorder and OCD.

    Therapy (CBT) is the best treatment.

    My daughter had it from age 18 through 33. Then it just stopped!

    But it made her life miserable all those years.

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up