Do I have GERD/LPR or vagus nerve damage in my throat?

Posted , 29 users are following.

I need help! I am so confused. I went for an upper endoscopy in late April due to upper stomach IBS cramping and a week after that I started having this terrible lump in the throat sensation, chest pain around the colorbone, burping and just a feeling of food laying in my esophagus. I have never had this before. The Scope showed only a small hiatal hernia no GERD no damage they even used the word beautiful! I visited my ENT and he did the larnyxscope down the nose to the throat and said my throat is moderatley inflammed which 99.9% of the time means Reflux is coming up and irritating it. Then visited the GI doc and he put me on Omoprazole 40mg once a day for a month. No change even with diet changes. Lost 14lbs and I can't bear to loose anymore weight! Then he increased the dose to two a day 40mg in morning and night - I tried this for a week but I just felt like crap and then I read about LPR which seems to be caused by the pepsin not the acid coming up to the throat so I stopped the medicine. Went back to ENT - did the scope again said the throat was still inflammed. I asked him about the pepsin salivary test and the PH probe and he said he does not like doing them because no matter what the outcome it will still be treated the same however my GI is ready to do the PH probe but I  have heard horrible things about this test and am very scared to put something esle down my throat. I am back on a different PPI now - nexium generic 40mg day and night for a month before I get this test. I am taking makuna honey, probilotic and I was wondering about the apple cider vinegar seems like people have good luck with this but won't it inflame my throat more? Then I also wonder if I had nerve damage during the scope and it is my nerve that needs to heal? I am just so confused and could use anyone's help- my husband is getting sick of hearing me complain and I am just not the mom I used to be! My favorite time of the day is night time because my lump in throat goes away until when I wake up and drink or eat. I am also full of healh anxiety as I have had uterine cancer in the past so every lump, bump or pain makes me think cancer- please help! Thanks in advance!

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I also had EGD...on 4/1. There were no side effects at...for first four days. Then some swallowing issues surfaced that had never had a trace of prior to EGD. Today, I had a follow-up to go over results of EGD (and colon done at same time), where I expressed my concern over this swallowing issue. Needless to say, I got no satisfaction whatsoever and was told it must be coincidental issue due my GERD. Sounds nice if you refuse to believe in my 56 yrs that I had never had a single teenie tiny problem with swallowing. Otherwise the doctor's offering is useless. I'm convinced that the EGD damage a nerve or nerves that control muscles that control some aspect of my swallowing. This is beyond distressing, as my other info from tests was all good (meaning I didn't need to fool with them at all)...but now have another perhaps major issue that might get worse with age. Whatever happened to "First, do NO HARM." Any thoughts?

• Posted

I had EGD done 5 mos ago and had no issue prior with throat. I think I might have nerve damage as well and am so sad. This pain is 24/7. getting worse. Dr will do a few tests as meds do not help

how are you and what tests or drs have you seen?

• Posted

Hello I have the same issue that started on Jan. 2019. I'm hoping its just a nerve damage issue that will heal over time becasue the globus sensations is constant and extremely annoying. Has the went away for you? Hope to hear back from you.

• Posted

I was wondering how you are doing.? I have symtoms and pain 24/7 from routine endoscopy done 5 mos ago. I was fine before this I see you went to a doctor at Johns Hopkins. I am also maybe 1.5-2 hrs away. what is the name of the doctor? My GI dr is finally taking me more serious and ordered some tests but said I may have to go to JH. I am so sad it might be nerve related and been feeling worse. Also looking for a nuerologist

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.