Do I have Graves' or Hashimoto's or both?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid last November. I was booked in for a thyroidectomy but I cancelled it to give myself a chance to try and control my metabolism naturally, which I've managed to do. My latest results are better than they were but they're not perfect: my TSH is 0.14, T3 is 4.51, RT3 0.07, T4 is 15.11, Anti TPO is 116, TRAb anti-receptor TSH is 2.3. Along my journey I've been told by some doctors that I have Graves and others that I have Hashimoto's but I'm not sure which one I really do have... I'd be grateful for any help and guidance as to what the above results mean.

Thanks. P

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Of course this does not apply to all women but it does alpply to women who are on the birth control pill. It is important for women who are on the birth control pill to get there estrogen levels checked. Her doctor told her that high estrogen levels were a side affrect of birth control pills for some women which leads to hyperthyroidism and extreme weight gain and  high liver enzyeme levels. Normally people with hyperthyroidism should not be tired but hyper/lots of energy and they will tend to lose weight easily not gain.
    • Posted

Thats not always true with hyperthyroid...I've gained weight and its why my doctor desided to check my thyroid...I was up by about 20 pounds and tired alot of the time......I've talked with others as well...that have also gained...and a lot of the ladies gain from the medications after finding out they have hyperthyroidism... 

Seems the thyroid has no set of rules...

The thyroid is a tricky thing...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.