Do I have HBP?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Medication: Lisonpril 

Whenever i'm at the doctors I feel extremely nervous and I average out at a 139/85 , I blame this to the white coat syndrome , so I was advise to take my BP at home . 

I follow every rule when taking my BP at home , legs not crossed, no talking, moving, arm at heart level , etc ; However I don't wait 3-5min to take my BP my first reading, I usually get right out of my bed and take it . Once I get my reading , I take them back to back (meaning I don't take wait 1-2min in between each reading like suggested).

Normally my first reading is 137/84 , then 135/80, then 130/75, 125/72, then it might spike up a little again to 131/79 , then it will go back down to 125/75, then to averaging around the 117-123/65-75 . 

It usually takes me about 5-6 min of back to back readings to get into the "normal" range. 

My concern is why does this happen ? I normally DON'T feel anxious when taking my first  reading at home and usually take then right after getting up from my bed (resting state) meaning I was not physically active or anything.

Could I be subconsciously nervous? 

Does that mean my BP is usually in the hypertension range throughout the day and only at normal ranges when i'm sleeping ? 

How come my first reading are always extremely high than drop suddenly ?

I've also done "tests" on my sister , when taking her BP right after getting out of bed , her reading are well within normal range. How come mines are always near the hypertension range ?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated , thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Theres nothing wrong with those readings..... Your perfectly normal. Bp changes every second depending on what your doing. Answer to your question, no you dont have high bp. 
  • Posted

Stop taking BP one on top another, not a good idea.  leave 5 minutes between readings.

?When you sit down, say for morning tea, or lunch, put on the blood pressure cuff, relax, you do not have to activate immediately, just relax, and feel the cuff around your arm, does it bite NO, is it going to hurt you NO, take another deep breathe, sit back and relax and hit the button, let it do its thing, don't look at the figures on the screen, while it is taking your levels.

?Just some hints from my husbands experiences, he can spike really high BP if he looks at screen, and no your blood pressure is not high, but you do have white coat problem.

• Posted

Agree.  Just looking at the bp machine makes my break out in sweat.  It's WCS.  Now with the 20-year-old on Lisonpril - get yourself off that bp med IT HAS HORRIBLE side effects.  What was your bp before Lisonpril?  Get a second opinion.  Not so long ago the medical field changed bp readings for "normal" upping the readings.  Who knows why?  Selling more prescriptions?  More money in pharmaceutical companies pocket?  Risk of premature health issues?  Goal of freaking out people?  Creating patients?  WHO KNOWS.  Have you discussed this issue with your family and friends?  Have you shopped around for another opinion?  Try not to be consumed by this crap.  You most likely are not going to drop dead today or tomorrow.  Take care and good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.