Do I have herpes?!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys.so it's 1am and I can't sleep I was tested for stds about three weeks ago and got the results 3 days ago. I have been stressing researching every single day since I got the results. After crying and being depressed for the first 3 hours I began to do research and now I am questioning if I am even positive for it.i am here to see if anyone can help me or has a similar experience they can share with me. so I had blood test in the results there is two pages for the herpes section, one is the test HSV 1/2 AB (IGM)  IFA W/RFL TO TITER ... HSV1 IGM screen is POSITIVE , HSV2 IGM screen is POSITIVE for each of them it says flag A and Results is 1:20 the same number on both....now the Second page the says HSV 1/2 IGG, TYPE SPECIFIC AB..... HSV 1 Igg type specific ab / flag H  RESULT is 26.00.       HSV 2 Igg type specific ab / flag N  RESULT is 0.90..  the index  shows ( <0.90 negative ) 0.90-1.09 equivocal ) >1.09 positive 

So can someone please explain to me if this means I have HSV or do I need to retest. I read that this test is no accurate and my doctor literally was just like yea for sure you have herpes 1 and 2 and left me dying inside with no hope... by the way sorry I did not mention sooner I have NEVER had no symptoms ever no sores,ulcers scabs pain none whatsoever . I was positive for chlamydia when I tested and got treated already plus I had chicken pox very young just incase this could change my results... I was tested for everything all at once. I would appreciate any help I can get with this I am going crazy I need to KNOW I have a toddler I am scared to give something to unintentionally 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

I cannot tell you the exact meaning of your test results. I am sorry that this is happening to you. From what I read you cannot transfer herpes by things like silverware,clothes, bedding etc. Get a second opinion. We are here for you. When I found out I cried Everytime I thought about my son, I still do. All you can do is educate yourself. Good luck
  • Posted

Your test results are straightforward. IgM is never to be relied upon for herpes, so only IgG matters, and according to that you are clearly positive for HSV1 but not HSV2. The borderline equivocal result for HSV2 is likely due to your pre-existing HSV1 status, which in some people can even cause false low positives for HSV2. Your results are pretty normal, as many people carry HSV1 unknowingly, usually orally, and if it's never been an issue before, it's not an issue now simply because you now know. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

• Posted

So my test results from igg test

herpes 1:56.00

Herpes 2: 2.23

I heard of having a low false positive. Should I get retested ??? 

• Posted

I would retest because they are low. I read that passed 3.5 you are positive before that it can be a false positive 
    • Posted

It looks like you are positive for herpes 1 like I am mines is 26.00 but hsv2 you might be negative 
    • Posted

Given your very high HSV1 score and low HSV2 score, there is reason to doubt the accuracy of the latter. Repeat testing with the same kit will not likely change the results. Much better to use a different test kit, or the University of Washington western blot (not the easiest or cheapest to arrange, however).
  • Posted

Thank you guys for your replies. I had read it wrong thought the 26.00 was a .26 I realized last night it was past 3.5. It's hard to believe I have this since I  never had symptoms I'll just try to keep myself healthy so I don't have an Ob. Can I transfer this to my child if I don't have the ob I never kiss him in his mouth but I have used this spoon before 

• Posted

im New to this so I actually don’t know .  But I hope I’m negative for herpes 2 . I’m getting better day by day . Pray & give it all to god ! You will be okay smile 

• Posted

Me too I never knew anything about herpes just thought people who had it were promiscuous which I'm not. I was ignorant like everyone else. My mom told me they have herpes but haven't had an ob in a long time I don't know if they could of passed it on to me by mistake. Just know hsv1 is very common it's so common those sore mouth commercials you see is about herpes they don't even call it herpes. Just keep yourself healthy take vitamins and try not to stress I know it's easier said than done. Thank god we are negative for hs2 though. Can't believe my doctor told me I was positive for both 

• Posted

Amen to that ! Thanks so much for being here ! I know it will get better . I look at dating people more differently now!  I’m currently on famciclovir 250mg . What type of vitamins do you prefer that I take . I recently been diagnosed this past Tuesday . I have been every since 
    • Posted

Well I was not prescribed anything since I told her I have never had no symptoms I have not had an outbreak (thank god) yet.... and yea I look at it differently as well I am in a relationship with my son father been for the last 5 years and we both talked about it and he was very understanding. But if me and him were to brake up idk if I would even dare date anyone and risk giving it to them.im embarrassed to tell this to anyone especially a man I barely know.
    • Posted

I currently have a partner , I have not told him because I don’t want to be put out there or even known to have herpes . I don’t think it’s that bad . It’s just like cold sores which everybody gets . It’s just in a different area .?but I’m terrified to tell my friend. We have been having sex since Jan of 2017 and the symptoms didn’t start until mar which I was tested for herpes then & the test was negative . Now this sept . I’m positive ... I actually don’t understand . I’m not having sex with him until I’m ready again . If my friend can’t accept that then he is not the one for me ! 

• Posted

Then he might have been the one who gave it to you. If you decide to continue a relationship with him it's best you are honest about to him if you feel you cannot trust him with being an adult about it then I would end things if I were you. And cold sore are herpes you get them in your mouth for hsv1 but it's embarrassing to have a cold sore in the mouth. Do they look as bad as I see in pictures?? Everyone in my job will disown me what if I get fired if they discover I have it?? I'm freaking out about having an ob

• Posted

Yeah you right . I don’t feel as if he will be a adult about the situation so I’m not going to tell him ! But the thing is before this herpes situation we were so perfect . Everything was good and we had sex SO many times !i feel like no one will accept me & im really scared to let another guy in! If me and him doesn’t work out , of course I will tell my new partner !  I actually haven’t experienced a out break on lips since I was younger! I haven’t had any out break on my lips I. My adults years of living ! I just don’t understand this disease ! It’s giving me a headache!!! 

• Posted

I was thinking the same thing , he may have been the one to give it to me . Right now X, I’m going with the flow with him . 2 months from now will be a year that we have been talking . I just don’t want to drop the B.B. until he have symptoms. But it’s kind of weird , if I gave it to him , we been having sex since Jan of this year , why he haven’t had any symptoms yet ? 
    • Posted

It's possible he contracted hsv1 from you but has no symptoms. It can deff be in his blood. I am positive but never in my life had an outbreak. I guess my immune system is strong. I have been very stressed before I have really bad anxiety and panic disorders I have got better but it still happens on occasions I have been so stressed and depressed that it makes me question if I am even really positive cause no symptoms ever happened .if I were you I would just end things coming from someone that has been in a long 5 year relationship. if I would of acted sooner on my sons fathers actions and would of left him when I realized he was too imature to be "hubby" material i would of saved myself from so much stress. Please really consider if this is the guy for you. I am stuck with him for life now although I love him I feel like I deserve someone who is a better man to me. But when I chose him as my boyfriend I was very naive and imature and was not REALLY considering that he could be my child's father one day 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice . I’m really am thinking about cutting all ties with my guy . It’s just how could this be that I have herpes?! I just don’t understand I never will . Thanks for all the support and advice 
    • Posted

We won't know. I didn't bother to wonder why when I found out because I could of had it for years or got it with my boyfriend. Don't stress that just worry about being healthy smile have a wonderful day remember no one is perfect and we all go through things in life.. this has hit me hard to but I'm very strong and I do it mainly for my little boy. God bless 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.