Do I have Hyperthrodism?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm here because I'm at my wits end...

I have been feeling really unwell lately, and after several useless trips to the Doctor (who insists there is nothing wrong), I decided to just google my symptoms to work out it out myself. I really thought that I was being a hypercondriac because my symptoms are an odd mix but I was surprised to find that most of them fell under the scope of having an overactive thyroid. I am still uncertain though, I'm not sure if I should go back an insist they do a blood test or just leave it. 

Symptoms include:

Incredibly itchy scalp (I've changed shampoo and even used the T/Gel to no affect)

Headaches (I've had an eye test, my vision fine)

Anxiety - I've always been a worrier but I now I'm finding social situations with friends and family are stressing me out. I cannot face going outside, my stomach is a knot before I go anywhere.

And in the last 2 weeks...

Tiredness - to the point of exhaustion. The weird thing is I sleep fine, in fact I've had three days off and slept non stop the entire time.

Aching - my whole body aches, its uncomfortable no matter how I sit or lay

Random bones hurt - like some of my ribs, my thigh bones, my shoulder 

The most worrying things for me is that I've lost weight. I've always been thin but in the last month I have lost 2 stone but I'm eating more than ever. Once I walk home from work, I literally pig out on packets of crisps, cakes, anything easy I can eat (I feel so ahsamed)...and then an hour later I have dinner. Yet I have an empty stomach feeling that keeps me awake at night, if I was living alone I would probably order a take-away and have a second dinner but I don't want to worry my fiance.

Does any of this sound familar to anyone? I've been off work sick for three days and I need to return soon, espeically as my Doctor doesn't believe anything's wrong. I'm really really worried that I may loose my job because i can't focus. What should I do?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I've  been away from this forum for ages but just wanted to say yes, insist on a blood test. Your symptoms are exactly the same as mine except I had blurred vision and no weight loss. The lack of energy,  increase anxiety etc are identical to mine as is the constant hunger. Mine was only diagnosed after a blood test for something else and I don't think it would have been found otherwise as no one (including me) tied all the odd symptoms together.  Please get tested. You may still feel entirely crappy but at least you'll know what you're dealing with! Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi there

lundsay Pharr.  Please don't worry as all of it can be treated.   You must ask for blood tests and don't be afraid to be tenacious with your GP.  I had the same problems (but my bloods were coming back normal) but I asked for a referral to Endocrinology (which is your right) and was diagnosed with sub clinical hyperthyroidism.  I have just had radio iodine treatment in the form of a pill and awaiting results.  Any weight loss is worrying when you are eating well and sounds like a metabolic problem so please keep at your GP.

All the best

lindsay

• Posted

I need to have a flu jab at the surgery today so I'll request then. I think if I was feeling normal I may be more foreceful with them but the last few times it took all my effort just to turn up and then to be told you're ok was completely soul destroying. I'm glad you both think that this is all a good reason to be worried, my family and work colleagues do not seem to understand at all.
  • Posted

Hi Meg. definitely insist on a range of blood tests especially Thyroid function. I also have Fibromyalgia which is another debilitating condition and the aching bones etc are a big issue with FM. There is no blood test to prove Fm an it takes a while to be diagnosed with it. But i would suggest you see a more sympathetic doctor who actually wants to listen to and help his patients rather than just get paid to dismiss them. But its important you get  blood tests first to see if there are any underlying problems.
  • Posted

I can identify with that too - no one thinks I'm sick at all because it doesn't 'show'. Plus on the days that I'm not functioning I tend to hide away. You're not imagining it - and there is help and medication available. Just don't expect miracles. The worst thing for me is the lack of energy and inability to concentrate (or even think clearly) - my memory is totally useless and I do the most stupid things. Try to make yourself push them into addressing your concerns properly. It will cheaper for them to do a blood test than for you to complain about their treatment of you later. Xx
  • Posted

Take your pulse.  If your resting heart rate is over 80 you should definitely be concerned about Graves' disease.  

If you haven't had the thyroid tested within the last year, you should be able to have it tested as part of a regular screening.

• Posted

Hi Meg,

When you go to docs as for a complete overhaul. I did this because I was feeling low and unwell with pain all over and my doc scheduled me for  full blood work on liver, kidneys, thyroid, glucose levels, cholesterol and anything else that can be screened by a blood test, and it came back that my blood glucose levels were high also my cholesterol HDL too low and LDL too high and liver function not so good. I have since been treated for Type 2 diabetes and feel ok now...pain was due to glucose not reaching my muscles because  insulin was not 

taking the glucose to my muscles and giving me energy.. have a go you got nothing to lose but a diagnosis to gain...best wishes...

• Posted

Insist On my way! Blood test, if only to eliminate this, some of your symptoms are familiar to me ( I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism in2010). Take care and Good Luck
    • Posted

Oops sorry ( On iPhone, pads being charged! Yes definitely insist I a blood test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.