do i have hypothyroidism?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello there folks, wonder if you can help me. i have had a blood test done (i need to take iron tablets as ferritin level low at 6 ) and they ran a thyroid test which has come back as normal

it is

serum free t4 level 9.1 pmol/L

serum TSH LEVEL 3.39MU/l

the result says that tsh level between 0.35 - 5.0 is normal, whereas ive been reading that the new recommednded level is more like 0.35 - 3.0

i am overweight and cannot seem to lose any weight, i am tired all the time and generally have to have a lay down at about 5pm and have a sleep and the worst thing is the brain fog. i keep forgetting things, names, i sometimes feel stupid and i used to be quite bright! i am 44 and female and have very heavy periods

thanks for looking

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The reference range varies by laboratory and by country. The reasons are based on history, politics and so on rather than any reality. But in the UK, most ranges I have seen quoted go up to around 5.0. (In the US they are indeed often go up to around 3.0.)

I think you are hypoT. But what I think matters little - somehow you have to get from here to a better state.

Have you visited Thyroid UK? They have a 'help' service (via web form).

• Posted

Your tsh looks good but your T4 is low, normal level for T4 is between 11.5 -22.7,

If the T4 level is low and TSH is not elevated, could mean a diseased thyroid gland or the pituitary gland is more likely to be the cause for the hypothyroidism. Of course, this would drastically effect the treatment since the pituitary gland also regulates the body's other glands (adrenals, ovaries, and testicles) as well as controlling growth in children and normal kidney function

I stress I am not an expert, so you need to ask your Doc.

• Posted

thanks very much for your input guys.....going to see my doctor again....im not right

tan x

• Posted

Tanny; 

I know that your comment is more than 1 year ago, but I was wondering if you've been diagnosed with a thyroid disorder? Also, have you had your cortisol levels checked....curious. I have some concerns about the sensitivity/accuracy of thyroid tests. I know that the tests are more proficient, but I am hearing/reading that despite this, the symptoms of over/underthyroid function still exists. Of course, there could be another condition which mimicks thyroid disorders.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.