Do I have IBS, endometriosis, or something more serious?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am a 27 year old (nearly 28 year old) virgin who is Autistic and has severe anxiety. My doctor said that I probably have irritable bowel syndrome, or endometriosis. He said that I don't have ovarian cancer, or any reproductive cancers. I had a transabdominal ultrasound, where they found a very small questionable fibroid, but that was all. I have a severe phobia when it comes to having the transvaginal ultrasound, and so they couldn't do that even though it's supposed to be a better test than the transabdominal.

I experience terrifying symptoms. Pelvic pain, anal/rectal pain and pressure, vulvar pain, tenesmus, a lot of gas, sometimes nausea. There are days where I have a lot of stool, and it feels like I'm never finished with my bowel movements. I often get constipation and sometimes diarrhea. A lot of times I have solid stools that are frequent. I have solid stools multiple times a day sometimes. The feeling of needing to have a bowel movement goes away briefly after I pass a BM, but I still have gas and pain and the small relief doesn't last long.

My pelvic area feels like there's a lot of pain and pressure. It's mostly always my pelvic area that gives me the most trouble, and then if I lie in a certain position with my legs up to my pelvic area, it seems as though the pressure breaks up and then my stomach has obvious gas that moves and is able to be passed.

The feeling in my anal or rectal area is also like a pressure that causes me to clench and strain sometimes. It feels like something is stuck there, or that there's some sort of tension. My vulvar area gets a pressure-like pain sometimes that aches or burns or is difficult to describe.

Lately I've been having vaginal spotting, but only for a day or 2. It usually happens about 2 weeks before my period. For the last few times, it's been brown discharge, though this time it's pinkish-red. It's very alarming for me. I don't know if this is ovulation spotting, or something more serious.

I am overweight, about 190-200 lbs. I have hirsutism (chin hair growth) which I started getting in my early 20s. I have acne as well. I'm worried that I might have PCOS, and that maybe I have endometrial cancer because of it. I'm also worried about ovarian cancer or other reproductive cancers that virgins are capable of getting.

As for the hirsutism, the hair itself doesn't bother me the way it would for a lot of people, so I never regarded it as anything medically concerning until I started getting other symptoms.

When I was younger, during my preteen years, my periods used to be extremely heavy and sometimes would last up to 2 weeks. I remember there were times when I wasn't on my period when I would get pelvic pain that was severe and I would lie on the floor in agony. I'm not sure if this is related to anything that I have going on now. I still get heavy periods often where I have to use the thickest pads, and I have some blood clots usually, though the duration of my periods are about 5-7 days, generally.

Are there any professionals or anyone with expertise or experience who can tell me what might be wrong with me? I'm so afraid. I live with my Mom and she takes me to the doctor, but I don't know what else to do. I'm so terrified that I'm going to die from this. Please help me in any way that you can. Thank you so much.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a professional, but I'm sorry that you're having so many difficulties and so much discomfort right now. I do suffer from IBS and your symptoms sound like mine to a T, including the bit about things easing up when you lie on your side. However, I wonder whether the hirsute condition and spotting may point to a slight hormonal imbalance? You could ask to have your levels checked, as this should be very simple to address with hormone supplements. Hope things improve for you soon.

• Posted

I have PCOS and every period I get IBS. There is a hormonal connection. You can get your hormones tested to see if there is an imbalance.

I would recommend giving up sugar and alcohol (if you drink). Also dairy is not good for PCOS or any hormone imbalance, try and avoid it at certain times of the month. These make symptoms much worse eg weight gain, acne, hirsutism, sweating, etc. Also they are not good for IBS symptoms either. Look for a low GI diet and also try and get a bit of exercise every day, even if it just a 15 minute walk to start. Losing weight will make your symptoms a lot better.

It sounds like you probably do have fibroids and possibly endometriosis. Have you tried naproxen tablets or mefenamic acid tablets when it is your period?

• Posted

Since your doctor said you don't have cancer, I would accept this. I am autistic and could not cope with the transvaginal ultrasound either so it had to be abandoned after two attempts because it was too painful and the instrument itself was too large for me. I am very small and neat. All my other tests were negative so I was diagnosed with IBS. Saying you probably have IBS/endometriosis doesn't sound like a definitive diagnosis. I would see a different doctor get a confirmed diagnosis.

Your symptoms could be IBS which can be made worse by periods. To find out if you have endometriosis, you would need a

laparoscopy.

• Posted

hi bumpy t, i am NOT an expert but considering i have 3/4 of the girls in my IMMEDiATE family who have 2 through hysterectomies and 1 about to have 1, ir's probable i may have this too. we think ours is endometriosis. ibs makes periods DREADFUL, only a gynacologist will TRULY understand you, take someone with you, ask questions and get the information you need. i may not totally understand you but i'll try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.