Do I have LS?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've had this white patch on my glans for about 10-15 years. I saw a GP at the time who told me not to worry , so I didn't, until a redness appeared next to it about 6 months ago. A dermatologist diagnosed LS and prescribed Dermovate. After a few days the redness flared up and I saw another dermatologist, who happened to be availaible, who challenged the diagnosis and performed a biopsy. Results showed mild changes that "could be" supportive of LS. I was then on Dermovate for 3 months while the white area became several white areas. The dermatologist who diagnosed me is convinced LS is in remission, despite the white areas growing. That's just hypopigmentation, he says. After sex or masturbation the skin will look bruised. This is because of thinning of the skin, by either LS or Dermovate, he says. I have now been off Dermovate for a month. Revisit in another month. During the months 6 months I have also seen two urologists, for other reasons, and no one have recognized LS.

What do you guys think of all this? I am so confused by both diagnosis and treatment.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

bump

• Edited

Hi I think you could have lichen sclerosus or lichen Planus there probably LS but the rest of the glans look fairly clear and the foreskin an frenulum look ok. So it sounds like it's only progressing slowly. is the red area is from the biopsy?

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. This is all such a mess to me.

The red area is not from the biopsy, no. You can see it clearly in the first picture.

Tomorrow I'm seeing a urologist. Hopefully he'll get me back on track.

• Edited

OK in the first photo it's not from a biopsy done in the past. If the last photo is recent you could see if they would do a biopsy there. It does look like LS but you have had it for years so it's progressing very slowly. If you keep the area dry especially from urine and even try to keep the foreskin retracted. See how your get on with the urologist and let us know how you get on.

• Edited

I've read up on planus and since the redness really flared up in a day and the whiteness is slowly progressing into what was red I am now leaning towards planus. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

• Posted

The urologist did not recognize LS/BXO and consider the lesions to be within normality. No need for treatment. I still have a revisit at the dermatologist in a month, I guess I'll just try to stay patient until then. I will however consider future PRP treatment.

• Edited

That's good man it might be dormant so see how it goes it doesn't seem to be progressing to the foreskin or frenulum I think if it was active it would eventually spread.

• Edited

Hi

If I can give you a suggestion, in your case, with suspicion of lichenoid form, it would be the case to perform a radical circumcision with biopsy of the whole foreskin and try a treatment with PRP

• Edited

Update.

Earlier today I had a planned revisit with the dermatologist, after two months of interruption from dermovete/clobetasol, and the verdict is once again lichen sclerosus.

This was very surprising to me since I've had serious improvement in the last week, or so, and I can hardly even see the lesions any more. The only changes I've made in the last week was having sex regularly, once a day, and using a new lube.

During the three months on dermovate my symptoms got gradually worse, the white area doubled in size, but at every monthly revisit the dermatologist was convinced it was all fine and suggested I needed therapy. Now that I think it's fine, he says it's not.

This is all terribly confusing to me!

I have now been prescribed Protopic. Revisit in two months.

• Edited

Update – After one week of Protopic/tacrimolus I am way worse. All progress I've made in the last couple of months is gone and I'm back to the same condition as when I was on Dermovate. Seeing the dermatologist one more time tomorrow to share this information, it seems like a responsible thing to do, and then I'll try PRP. I've found a urologist here in Stockholm Sweden who is willing to combine the P-shot method with injctions directly at the active lesions. This is not covered by insurance and is quite costly but public healthcare have only made things worse, sadly.

• Edited

I do not know why I used again some prediscribed cream, when your situation was so much improved (how you mentioned in previous post). I think that sometimes is the best cure just leave it alone... These steroid creams and calcium inhibitors...

• Edited

sorry to hear that things are not going in the direction you are hoping for.

have you tried making changes to diet?

consider for the long term making some changes.

i have made many suggestions in previous posts. including aloe vera every morning, whole food diet, neem oil on penis, ashwandhanga powder/pills. consider avoiding irratating foods.

dab penis with tissue of any urine left in penis after urinating.

destressing, massage, hot springs etc.

best wishes

• Edited

The dermatologist pushed for me to get back on steroids. I was convinced clobetasol only made my condition worse and therefore I ended up trying Protopic. A couple of weeks have passed since I quit tacrimolus and I am pretty sure my condition has improved again, tough it's hard to tell from time to time as color, shape and texture changes naturally during the day. I will still proceed with PRP treatment but the urologist recommended I wait at least three weeks to get the tacrimolus completly out of the system, which is another week. And from what I understand he's also away on summer vacation for quite some time.

• Posted

how are you doing alot of us are having this same issue and just as lost as you are does it flare up after a hott bath ? and pain sometimes in genital area ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.