Do I have mono?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been having some classic symptoms of mono recently. I went to the doctor and got tested and a EBV panel was done. The EBV lgg, EBV VCA lgg, and EBV Capsid lgm all came back positive. I haven't heard back from the doctor directly yet but am assuming this means I have mono? Or at least have been affected recently? I'm sure my dr will get back to me soon I'm just getting a bit antsy. Thanks!

* I've never tested positive for mono in the past (last time tested was in 2011)

** I am 20 year old female.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey there Juella,

So sorry to hear you have been having the symptoms of mono lately, just writing to let you know that this is a good forum for encouragement and advice. I'm not a doctor or anythhing, not really sure about the technical side of the blood test results, do speak to your doctor to get clarification.

Even if it is mono, want to offer some hope and reassurance - it is a nasty virus for sure, but you will recover and get better without any doubt. You are young and have lots of healthy and happy times to look forward to still. so hang in there. Would definitely recommend taking some vitamins / herbs to help boost your immune system, a good strong multi-vitamin per day for sure, and B complex vitamin is really good for energy levels. High doses of Vitamin C (1000mg to 3000mg per day), Vitamin D and also taking an immune boosting herb like siberian ginseng / peppermint can also really help.

Thinking about you and keep in touch to let us know how you are doing - and remember you will make a fully recovery, I truly believe that.

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Thank you so much for your care and concern, I do appreciate it!

And I will definitely be picking up some vitamins asap. Thanks again

-Julia

• Posted

Hi Juella,

I had a positive mono spot and have Epstein Barr, my daughter had a negative mono spot but positive Epstein Barr, I have recovered for the most part, my daughter is still has it, but Craig is right it does eventually pass as hard as it is to believe it when you are going through it.

• Posted

Hi Juella,

I like you haven't been on the mono roller coaster for long, I wanted to let know today I'm having a fabulous day the best I've had energy wise in the last week. I'm old enough to be your Mum and have kids your age, I wanted to say remember to stay warm, it seems to really make a difference to the next day and in a coffee shop there may be draughts, everyone is different but I know my daughters roll their eyes at me when I say where a scarf, singlet or layers on even when they are well! stay warm. I feel like I'm adjusting to the good and not so great days and hope u r 2. Yesterday I bought some Q10 vitamins on Craig's advice and. I think it's worth trying. Hope you get your good days this week! Take care

• Posted

Hey Lee,

That's is good that you had a settled and good day yesterday, definitely a step in the right direction. Still take it easy though, it can zig zag, a bit up and down with the virus at times, sometimes when folk have a better day they think they can just resume normal activities but then feel it again a few days later - so just remember still get plenty of rest and glad to hear you're trying some vitamins!

And most importantly remember for you, Juella and Mono and everyone else here, there most definitely IS full recovery ahead - so hang in there! Hoping for a good day today for everyone.

Craig

• Posted

So it turns out I definitely do have mono (which I kinda already had guessed.)

I've started on some vitamins and will be getting a doctors note for work for 3-4 days. I work at a coffee shop so I'm usually on my feet all day.

Thanks for all the encouragement! If anyone else has any other suggestions on how to heal quicker/better or even just how to deal with the symptoms, anything helps.

Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Juella,

Thinking about you, sorry to hear that you have mono and at least take it as a positive that you have a diagnosis / explanation for how you have been feeling, it can be an awful period when you know you're not well and not feeling right but don't know why.

Definitely so important, especially in the early stages, to get as much rest as possible Juella, listen to your body. A real mistake I think a lot make is trying to battle on through it, thinking they can 'fight it off'. It's a virus that really needs time and rest to recover from, and also to remove as much stress as possible. So if you need to take longer off from work definitely consider that.

Mono is 100% right though, you definitely will recover and get better, without any doubt at all. And don't panic if it doesn't come right away, because it definitely will come. Thinking of you and remember be kind to your body - plenty of rest, vitamins, sleep, and don't put your body under stress (impossibly hard as it is in the modern world).

Take care and message any time

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.