Do I have mono?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I’ve had a rough ride for the past 3 months, I was recently diagnosed with a heart condition and Im only 21 but Im blessed to be living, now moving on to the actual question, the doctor did an ultrasound on my stomach as I had abdominal pain, especially on my left side for like a month, the results came back and my liver and spleen were both enlarged. I also had a flu twice in less than two months and I vomitted right after, but the second flu was worse as I kept vomitting, I read online that having an enlarged liver and spleen indicates a virus of some sort and Im just worried!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tyler,

So sorry to hear about this awful time you have been going through, thinking about you and really hoping and praying things improve. Trusting that God is going to look after you Tyler, you're young and I believe have lots of healthy and happy days once this passes over, which I believe it will.

I'm not a medical person or anything like that, but generally I think a simple blood test can tell if mono is active in your system at present or has been active in the past - so definitely worth asking your doctor for that. Yes they do say that an enlarged spleen is a symptom in the early stages of mono, so it definitely worth getting that blood test. Even if it is mono, please don't worry Tyler it is a not nice virus but it does get better and your spleen does return to normal with it, want to reassure of that - but always wise to check in with the doc and that's all you can do.

Thinking of you and hoping that you are feeing better soon, prayers and thoughts right now for you and believing you are going to get through this and get better. Trusting Jesus with that, He is the great healer and knows more than all the doctors. Just take one day at a time right now Tyler that's all you can do don't look too far ahead or beat yourself up, this is not your fault - get plenty of rest. Taking vitamins and herbs really helped me when I had mono, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, B complex (for energy levels), Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng, echinicea, oregano. Flaxseed I think is also good for inflammation and the heart, but of remember I'm no expert always worth checking with doctor!!

Craig

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig,

Thank you so much for your kind words and help. Im hopefully going to do a test tomorrow for it. Can you just reassure me something? If I do have mono, would it be possible to fight it and never get it again if I do prevent myself from getting it the second time? Im just worried because I keep googling and some sites tell me that it can cause Hodgkins Lymphoma or something do with cancer, I currently have Lymphomatoid Papulosis (its benign) but it may develop into it one day, and Im very worried that mono will help with it and kill me

• Posted

Hi Tyler,

That is good you are going to get a blood test done and hopefully that can help with understanding what's going on and offer some reassurance.

Oh most definitely I want to reassure you regarding this, mono is something they say you can only get once anyway because once the virus (EBV in most cases) is in your system then it stays there dormant even after you get better. This doesn't mean to say you're unwell all the time!! It means that you get fully better and it can't hurt your body anymore. A key thing to remember is that 90%+ of the western world have been infected by EBV virus, most as a baby or child when they don't experience the horrible mono symptoms - but these people are walking about fit and healthy and don't have anything like Hogkins or whatever - I was the same I read all those things and worried about it too, but remember the vast vast vast majority of people with mono get fully better and don't have any complications or further problems like that - mono is a horrible virus and it can take some time to get better but it does get better!

Taking vitamins and herbs really helped me when I was unwell with it, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, B complex (for energy level), high doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinicea.

Let me know how you get on with your test results and remember you ARE going to get better, whether this is mono or not, you will get there I truly believe, even if it takes a bit of time, that can be normal but then equally normal to return to full health!! You did the right thing getting tests done and going to the docs, that's all you can do and really hoping and praying things settle down and get better soon.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.